Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » SMTP Relaying - 2 Questions
SMTP Relaying - 2 Questions [message #1395] Sat, 25 February 2006 18:40 Go to previous message
After much playing about and reading the manual, I've finally decided to post here, so let's see what you guys can tell me!

I've got two questions, which are pretty simple so I'll fire away!

1) My network is set up simply, with a firewall that acts as the mailgate, the smarthost that acts as my NST relay, and a mailserver which is umm, my mailserver!
So, incoming is > Firewall > Smarthost > Internal Mailserver.

However, when I set the mailserver to pass mail "back" through the smarthost (running NST), it always gets blocked and the sender receives a fatal error message after approx 30 seconds, so I've skipped out the smarthost in Outlook/Outlook Express's settings so it goes :

Outgoing mail: Mailserver > Firewall >

There are two downfalls with this - 1 is that the user can see the mail "sending" for a long period of time, instead of it being instantly sending it to the Internal Mailserver.
2. Anything over around 4mb, and the user always recieves the Outlook error "wait 60 seconds for the SMTP server to respond" or something..

Any ideas?

2) Can NST Relay mail to more than one Mailserver on different domains? (obviously with 2 network cards in the system)

If so, how to both of them questions?

Much appreciated if someone can respond.

Ps. NST is running on a Windows 2000 Pro box. It's a PIII 850mhz with 256mb Ram and works great!

I've been reading through other posts, and I came across a similar problem. My mailserver is running "SLMail" by Seattlelabs. The options I have turned ON are:

Broadcast ESMTP size
Disable MX Lookup
Use Built-in router
Use ESMTP Protocol
Use ESMTP Size
Use Four digit year
Use Message from field

There is definately no setting within the SLMail Administrator to verify incoming hosts. NST does say "If you put * in this box, then NST will NOT relay outgoing mails" - But if I turn this option OFF, then I'm open to the world?

So, I need to upgrade my Mailserver software?

Ian Harris.

Post Edited (02-26-06 02:52)
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: No buffer space available