Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Home Talk » No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam
No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam [message #2084] Fri, 21 January 2005 00:27
Zuhaib
Hello,
One of the users of the company we use No Spam today on has a issue where on his main account he recives almost 300+ E-Mail a day, many are Spam but also a lot our actually E-Mail. The problem is, with No Spam Today (or for that matter any Spam software) that runs on his workstation, it slows down the recival of E-Mails.. So much so it takes almost 1 to 2 hours to download all of the E-Mails. And this is on a very high speed connection with a pretty good workstation.
While i wont go in to why this person recives so many Spam E-Mails, we cant delete this account as many, and i do mean, many important E-Mails are used for it also.
And the people who host our E-Mail have a contracted sign to us, and we cant seem to be able to covince them to install SpamAssassin on there own servers.
So i ask if there is anything we can do with No Spam today to improve the amount of time it takes to sort the E-Mail, of if there is other software from byteplant that can speed this up on the workstation/office level.
Re: No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam [message #2085 is a reply to message #2084] Tue, 25 January 2005 16:27 Go to previous message
support
From what you say, every mail takes 10-20s to pass the filters, which is not particularly fast. On modern hardware, NoSpamToday! should be 5-10 times faster.

What version of NoSpamToday! are you talking about? Please send us the log file and the configuration file by mail (please enable detailed logging first, if you haven't already).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam [message #2086 is a reply to message #2084] Mon, 31 January 2005 22:54 Go to previous message
Zuhaib
Just an update.
I send an E-Mail to Customer Support but have yet to recive a reply.. Just waiting. Maybe new version might be faster.
Re: No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam [message #2087 is a reply to message #2086] Tue, 01 February 2005 12:07 Go to previous message
support
Here is the reply, it went out on Jan 27, but email being increasingly less reliable than it once was...

I checked the filter execution times from your files: Spamassassin takes about 4s, which is OK.
So in the end, NoSpamToday! ends up processing about 700 mails per hour,
which is not too bad. Upgrading the computer in question (faster CPU) might
double the processing speed.

SpamAssassin has a very good accuracy, but unfortunately it needs a lot of
processing power.

We are thinking about adding a fast filter in future versions, one that gets
rid of a large precentage of spams, leaving the remainder only for
SpamAssassin to check.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: No Spam today and LARGE volumes of E-Mail/Spam [message #2088 is a reply to message #2084] Wed, 09 February 2005 07:53 Go to previous message
Heidner
You might also consider copying the dns realtime block list score rules into the local.cf file, then turn off most of the checks except for four or five (spamhaus) and perhaps one other. Most of the scanning should go pretty fast - but if there are a lot of dns lookups and the ISP isn't caching dns queries -- that could really slow the process down...
Previous Topic: Having No Spam Today AV checker work with NAV
Next Topic: No Spam Today! for Workstations V2.0.2.4 released
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 19:31:13 CET 2016