Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ?
Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ? [message #1838] Wed, 12 September 2007 10:38
fonager
Hi there,

After upgrading from 2.x to 3.x I have seen a dramatic raise in emails being delivered, instead of marked as spam.

And its emails with invalid email adresses - ie :

Name / email : "Alice Eaton" / "Alice Eaton"
Name / email : "Brady Roberson" / "Brady Roberson"

So there are no valid email adress from the sender - how come these are not sent away as spam immediately ?

Regards,
Tony Fonager

Netcoders ApS
Re: Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ? [message #1839 is a reply to message #1838] Wed, 12 September 2007 12:05 Go to previous message
support
I don't think this has anything to do with the upgrade, you just happen to get more spam.

In spam messages the sender address is usually faked, though it may happen to be a valid address of some innocent person.

You can try and tweak your settings to get better results. If you feel you could do with some specific help, do not hesitate to send a message to nstsupport@byteplant.com, and include your setup (noSPAMtoday.cf) and snippets and examples from your log file (noSPAMtoday.log).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ? [message #1840 is a reply to message #1839] Wed, 12 September 2007 15:50 Go to previous message
fonager
I agree that this might not have anything to do with 3.x upgrade.

But how come an email from a sender which has not even supplied a valid email adress, does not get caught by SA ?

I mean, isnt that the whole point ... !

I know about the scoring system and all, but if a sender is fake (not entering an email adress with @ sign and everything), it should at least be caught or givien a score of 10+.

Agree ?

Regards,
Tony Fonager

Netcoders ApS
Re: Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ? [message #1841 is a reply to message #1840] Wed, 12 September 2007 18:01 Go to previous message
support
> Agree ?

Well, no. The standards were conceived when the world was a better place, and spam email wasn't even invented. It is perfectly legal to supply the local part of an address only (if the sender is someone within your organisation) or no address at all (as is done ie. by a mailer daemon sending a delivery failure notification).

Also don't forget the fine points. At the SMTP level a sender can use addresses entirely different than the addresses supplied in the From:/To: headers of a message.

Your mail server can and probably will check if the envelope recipient address(es). It might check the sender address, if configured to do so (this takes an additional connection to the originating domain's mail server to verify the sender).

It won't compare the sender and recipient addresses used on SMTP level with the addresses used in the mail header. It is perfectly legitimate for them to be different, ie. for bcc (blind carbon copy) messages.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Not catching emails with invalid email adresses ? [message #1842 is a reply to message #1841] Thu, 13 September 2007 09:45 Go to previous message
fonager
OKay - I guess I still live "back then" when the world was a much better place *ss*

Anyway, your reply makes sense and I learned something - thanks!

Regards,
Tony Fonager

Netcoders ApS
Previous Topic: Problem with new version
Next Topic: List of licenses used
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 29 15:34:22 CEST 2016