Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Allow certain addresses to go through
Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1343] Wed, 28 December 2005 19:59
soatley
I am having a big problem with messages that are supposed to get through the filters, but aren't.

I have Clam Anti-virus, Attachment Filter and Spam Assassin in my filter list (in that order too) and in the 'Address Patterns to disable filter' box, I have the wildcard domains that I want to allow through without any checking. The messages are still being stopped at the Attachment Check for the MIME error policy.

How can I get this to stop? The support tickets for my provider keep setting NST off and each time I post a support ticket, they get my message and a 550 error from the mail server.
Re: Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1344 is a reply to message #1343] Thu, 29 December 2005 13:06 Go to previous message
support
Probably you want to pass messages based on the sender address.
NoSpamToday!'s filter settings allow only to pass messages based on the recipient address.

It is likely that the web form you use to submit tickets generates broken messages. Either use a decent mail client to submit a ticket, or change the MIME error policy of the attachment filter to pass bad mails (accept/deliver).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1345 is a reply to message #1344] Thu, 29 December 2005 14:55 Go to previous message
soatley
So right now, I have it set to disable filters using *@domain.com. Are you saying that I should change it to email1@domain.com, email2@domain.com and that will work with the MIME policy enabled?

I doubt that I will be able to get Kayako (the support company) to change their software, so I am hoping to get a workaround that will allow their messages to pass through.

Thanks,
Shawn

Post Edited (12-29-05 14:55)
Re: Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1346 is a reply to message #1345] Fri, 30 December 2005 21:02 Go to previous message
soatley
Anyone?
Re: Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1347 is a reply to message #1343] Thu, 06 April 2006 13:23 Go to previous message
soatley
BytePlant Support,

So right now, I have it set to disable filters using *@domain.com. Are you saying that I should change it to email1@domain.com, email2@domain.com and that will work with the MIME policy enabled?

I doubt that I will be able to get Kayako (the support company) to change their software, so I am hoping to get a workaround that will allow their messages to pass through.
Re: Allow certain addresses to go through [message #1348 is a reply to message #1343] Sat, 08 April 2006 04:04 Go to previous message
Heidner
Have you tried turning on detailed logging, then check the log files and see which filter causes the reject. Tune only that filter.

Also you may want to enable the option to save e-mails to a storage area.

I configure NST, with attachment filter first, virus checker second, spam trap, then the mail storage option, the mime filter, and spam assassin last.

Look at the contributed contributed area and try out "SPAMLOGS" this will let you generate a report of e-mails that have been rejected. You should easily be able to look at the ones by your support service, look at the timestamp and find the corresponding "saved" message in the storage area. This willl at least let you bring the mail back in and continue the thread with the Kayako support person.

It also lets you look at why their e-mail is being rejected - then you can tune your filters, send Kayako info so they can correct their mailer, and if the problem really is a NST problem you would have enough info to pass it on to the NST people so they can track down and fix a bug.

Unfortunately there are lots of mailers out there that are not RFC compliant. Including ones like NASA.GOV, Washingtonpost.com.... and a few travel agencies. In most cases they violate the MIME rules. Once you capture the defect you can sometimes get them to correct their problem so the mail doesn't bounce. I was able to do this with one travel agency (but it took MONTHS). For them is it was the fact that mail wasn't bouncing just from me but other companies that also check for MIME violations.
Previous Topic: 550 error Postmaster
Next Topic: Scanner - oops
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 30 06:55:24 CEST 2016