Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Whitelist access for users?
Whitelist access for users? [message #1115] Thu, 05 May 2005 15:39
eastwood
I have a couple of mail uses who want to be able to access and change the whitelists themselves.

Is this something planned for the next release, maybe be some how web based?

Or could I simply create a web page that accesses the text file and simply amend it that way?

Would I need to restart the service or would the running instance pick it up?
Re: Whitelist access for users? [message #1116 is a reply to message #1115] Fri, 06 May 2005 04:29 Go to previous message
Heidner
One of the problems with allowing users to add to whitelists themselves is that they could do something like *@*.com or *@*.org and you would have absolutely no spam protection.

The whitelist is enforced by Spam Assassin (SA). SA doesn't give you the ability to create whitelists that apply only to specific receipents -- i.e. all whitelists are global.

What I've done is to selectively whitelist domains that multiple people request and encourage end-users to copy "Good e-mail" from senders that they want to allow through --- into a "ham folder" then use the sa-learn.bat script to learn the ham. This causes the bayes filter to lower the score for spam and significantly improve the odds that the mail would get through from the sender.

I use MS Exchange - created two public e-mail folders - spam wastebasket and Ham. Every morning I run scripts that learn the prior days user specified spam and Ham.

Post Edited (05-07-05 07:34)
Re: Whitelist access for users? [message #1117 is a reply to message #1115] Fri, 06 May 2005 13:14 Go to previous message
support
For completeness' sake, the whitelist is a SpamAssassin setting, so it is one of the settings where you do not need to restart the service.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Expire?
Next Topic: No Spam Today - causing server to lock up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 29 15:34:53 CEST 2016