Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » IP used to deliver to outgoing server...
IP used to deliver to outgoing server... [message #1109] Tue, 26 April 2005 19:14
jalessi
I have noticed that the IP I specify for the Outgoing Server in the proxy setup is also the IP that NST will use to send the message to the outgoing server.

This makes it easy for me to control relaying since I have my mail server listen on all ports, but only trust (for relaying) all local ports except X.X.X.209. Then I configure NST to deliver to X.X.X.209. Then... not only does it deliver to X.X.X.209, but it also delivers FROM X.X.X.209.

Is this by design? Can I continue to expect this same behavior in future releases?

Thanks.
Re: IP used to deliver to outgoing server... [message #1110 is a reply to message #1109] Wed, 27 April 2005 16:55 Go to previous message
support
> I have noticed that the IP I specify for the Outgoing Server
> in the proxy setup is also the IP that NST will use to send the
> message to the outgoing server.
>
> This makes it easy for me to control relaying since I have my
> mail server listen on all ports, but only trust (for relaying)
> all local ports except X.X.X.209. Then I configure NST to
> deliver to X.X.X.209. Then... not only does it deliver to
> X.X.X.209, but it also delivers FROM X.X.X.209.
>
> Is this by design? Can I continue to expect this same
> behavior in future releases?

Windows chooses the interface best suitable to reach the outging server. If both interfaces are on the same network (e.g. if you assign two IP addresses to the same network adapter), I frankly do not know which interface will be used, I suppose it depends on the ordering in Windows' configuration files. Perhaps digging in the MS knowledge base might bring up more info.

So I wouldn't expect it to be the same, especially after OS upgrades or network configuration changes.

Maybe we will make the interface used configurable in one of the upcoming versions. But this is all splitting a very fine hair, and it would also add another way to shoot yourself in the foot (if you choose an interface where you can't reach the outgoing server).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Bare LF problem
Next Topic: MIME violation - but why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 04 23:25:21 CET 2016