Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail SpamAssassin Filter » Two SpamAssassin filters
Two SpamAssassin filters [message #423] Mon, 13 November 2006 13:01
Alex Aracil
I have two different SpamAssassin filters. The first one is less hard, the required score is 3.5 and the action is accept/deliver (junk). The other one is harder, the required score is 12 and the ation is accept/redirect, so I can mantain a quarentine and check it from time to time. Of course I have two different "ruleset" folders (in fact I have two "sa" folders, trying to solve this problem). When I test the filters from the NoSpamToday it works OK. The problem is that the subject tag is always the one in the less harder filter (the last one in the filter chain), and the action is always the one in the harder filter (the first one in the filter chain) in spite of the score.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #424 is a reply to message #423] Mon, 13 November 2006 17:17 Go to previous message
Heidner
FWIW, I think spamassassin looks for its signature in the header and ignores mail with it. A check to prevent looping.

I'm not entirely sure why you would want to run spamassassin twice. Pretty high overhead to do so... when you can do the same thing with less effort.

Put the mail storage filter before running spamassassin, then set the accept and reject thresholds far apart... like 7 and 15. Accept and deliver at 7, reject at 15. You'd also want to tune the rules if it is that high... give more points to blacklist, bayes, and mail sent timestamps in past (all three good indicators of spam). Mail less than 7 would be delivered without a hitch. Between 7 and 15 you can see the scores and the warning before and above stuff gets rejected... but it still is in the mailstorage area.

Then look at the NST logfiles periodically to see what things have been rejected.

(You'll need to make sure you have extended logging enabled). There are tools in the user contribution area that can help you look at the log files using batch files (Windows only).
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #425 is a reply to message #423] Wed, 15 November 2006 10:08 Go to previous message
Patrikc
I have the same problem, problem may be in nospamtoday.cf (only one section for sa) or in nst (owerwriting of parameters in memory)...
Resolving this situation by Heidner is not equivalent and not usable...
Adding Spam Mail Policy Option "Reject & Redirect Treshold" by byteplant will be super...
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #426 is a reply to message #425] Wed, 15 November 2006 18:07 Go to previous message
support
> I have the same problem, problem may be in nospamtoday.cf
> (only one section for sa) or in nst (owerwriting of parameters in memory)...

You can use as many SpamAssassin filters as you want, but this is difficult to setup and maintain. Chances are that you will shoot yourself in the foot sooner or later.

And as was said earlier, SpamAssassin looks for the presence of its headers, and behaves differently if those headers are present.

> Adding Spam Mail Policy Option "Reject & Redirect Treshold" by
> byteplant will be super...

You can change the policy of the delete threshold to something else.
For example, add the following line to the SpamAssassinConfig section in your nospamtoday.cf file:

DropThresholdPolicy="reject/redirect"

This is probably at least halfway what you want.
To learn more about manually editing the config file, consult the manual (chapter "Reference").

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #427 is a reply to message #423] Thu, 16 November 2006 10:06 Go to previous message
Patrikc
Thank you very mutch,
DropThresholdPolicy="accept/redirect" (or anything else) is what I look for... this option is not in manual (26 Oct 2006)! And just this scenario may be often required...

And there is also one bug, when I edit sa filter in configuration tab, and type of this edit change nospamtoday.cf (eg. value for this threshold), this option is not preserved and nospamtoday.cf need to be edited again.

Thanks
Patrik
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #428 is a reply to message #423] Thu, 16 November 2006 11:20 Go to previous message
Patrikc
Now it working without reported bug.

Patrik
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #429 is a reply to message #423] Thu, 16 November 2006 16:07 Go to previous message
Alex Aracil
Thank you very much. As you said this is enough for me and I think it is a good idea you document it.

Alex.
Re: Two SpamAssassin filters [message #430 is a reply to message #423] Fri, 01 December 2006 22:34 Go to previous message
RandallRash
I only discovered by accident that when stepping through the SA filter options, when you get to the screen "Select Filter Actions", where you have the "Exit Code" and "Policy" column headers, if you click on one of the policies (like "Accept/Deliver"), wait half a second, then click it again, you'll be given a drop down box to select from. Seems the drop down boxes should show initially without having to click so that their options would be less of an 'easter egg". This is on a Windows 2000 server box.
Previous Topic: German Spam
Next Topic: sa-update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 11:33:15 CET 2016