Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Add-ons » Vpscan and NST
Vpscan and NST [message #285] Fri, 08 April 2005 20:01
superdave144
I am trying to use SAV Corp Vpscan.exe with the NST antivirus filter feature. During the filter setup the test virus is caught every time, but when I put the filter in place it doesn't catch any viruses. Here is the command line I am using.

c:\vpscan.exe /INI %IN%

I don't understand why it would catch the virus during the sample test but not when it is live. Any ideas?
Re: Vpscan and NST [message #286 is a reply to message #285] Sun, 10 April 2005 22:50 Go to previous message
Heidner
I also have the SAV Corp 9.0 edition. I finally gave up trying to get int going - as the sole incoming method of checking for viruses. Symantec support washed their hands of using VPSCAN with third party e-mail prox'ies... as they compete with something they sell. (And people think Microsoft is bad!!! Prior versions of SAV worked - but Symantec broke SAV when they introduced their competing product!!!)

Now having said that... what does your the vpscan.ini file look like? And did you uncheck the little box for the "STDOUT"?

The problem I had been seeing was that everytime I used VPSCAN - it wanted to check all running memory processes and threads for threats, then checked the system files, before even getting to the single "msg" file that I wanted checked. If you are seeing the same thing happen - the end result is that your mail processing throughput will be horrible. If not, post your ini file and I can experiment on my mail host.

FWIW, I finally choose to use the open source CLAMAV as the virus scanner that NST runs as a filter. I still run SAV Corp on the mail server - with Autoprotect enabled. The result is that CLAMAV catches about 2/3rds of the viruses. The rest it misses are caught by SAV Corp auto protect - when CLAMAV tries to save the msg file. This has the effect of checking each msg by two virus checkers. I then bought and installed BitDefender for Exchange - to monitor and clean the information store. On the Outlook clients - I have SAV Corp configured to check all IMAP content before Outlook presents it.

When I test the process for virus/worms/threats - the combination before the final Outlook/SAV auto-protect catches about 25 of 27 virus/threats. The remaining ones that come through are captured by the autoprotect function of SAV Corp when I open the e-mail.
Previous Topic: Free anti virus TIP!!
Next Topic: What is the correct command line for F-prot
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 04 09:12:27 CET 2016