Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » service stops for no reason?
service stops for no reason? [message #874] Thu, 04 November 2004 14:50
ksteutermann
I have been testing the No Spam Today SMTP proxy for a couple of weeks now, and every few days the No Spam Today service will stop running and cannot be restarted until I reboot the Windows 2000 server that I have the No Spam today software installed on. Since, I am routing email through this, we do not receive any emails. Is this a bug that has a fix? Thanks
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #875 is a reply to message #874] Thu, 04 November 2004 16:11 Go to previous message
tiger1vic
I had the same thing when I first started evaluating it. You didn't give enough info to determine if it's the same reason (check your log), but in my case I was using the free version and it only allows checking of up to 10 email addresses. Every time the license count was exceeded, it would stop. Mail would still flow through, but was not going through NST any more and so not getting spam checked. Since there was all kinds of spam addressed to non-existent users at my domain (and it counts these too), I had to specify 10 or fewer addresses to be checked. Once NST was limited to checking only those addresses, it no longer stopped due to license overrun. Hope this helps you.
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #876 is a reply to message #874] Fri, 05 November 2004 13:57 Go to previous message
support
Another user reported a similar problem by mail, involving a Windows 2000 server, and heavy system load.

If it is the same problem, you will find a "select failed" message in the file noSPAMtoday.log shortly before the service stops working. This is a fatal error. If this error occurs, the service fails to shut down completely, and therefore cannot be automatically restarted by Windows.

Make sure you have all the latest patches for Windows 2000 installed, there were several issues in the winsock.dll of earlier versions of Windows 2000.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #877 is a reply to message #876] Tue, 09 November 2004 14:46 Go to previous message
ksteutermann
As far as I can tell (log) it is not hitting any email limit. The daily report looks fine.
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #878 is a reply to message #876] Tue, 09 November 2004 14:47 Go to previous message
ksteutermann
I have made sure that I am current with all patches and updates for Windows 2000 server and the problem still exists. Any other suggestions??????
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #879 is a reply to message #876] Tue, 09 November 2004 15:04 Go to previous message
support
Did you find a "select failed" message?

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #880 is a reply to message #879] Tue, 09 November 2004 15:22 Go to previous message
ksteutermann
No, there is no "select failed" message anywhere in the log. It appears, however, that it is always around the same time when it happens. It is usually around 12:00 midnight after about 3 or 4 days uninterrupted processing. This appears to be about the same time that the "daily report" is generated and sent to my email address. Would the daily report have anything to do with it? Also, I am testing on a Windows 2000 server box with 256MB RAM. Could RAM be the issue? Thanks.
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #881 is a reply to message #880] Mon, 15 November 2004 15:37 Go to previous message
ksteutermann
I have downloaded version 2.0 has you requested and my problem still exists. It still seems to happen around midnight after 3 or 4 days of up time. I have checked the log file for the "select failed" message and the log does not contain any references to this. I have a nightly backup running, could backup software cause this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My patience is growing thin...... Thanks.

Kevin Steutermann
Re: service stops for no reason? [message #882 is a reply to message #881] Mon, 15 November 2004 18:46 Go to previous message
support
> I have downloaded version 2.0 has you requested and my
> problem still exists. It still seems to happen around midnight
> after 3 or 4 days of up time. I have checked the log file for
> the "select failed" message and the log does not contain any
> references to this. I have a nightly backup running, could
> backup software cause this problem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. My patience is growing thin...... Thanks.

It is most likely that the backup software causes the problem. Could you start it
manually during daytime while NoSpamToday! is running just to see what happens ?

Anyway, to be safe for the time being you should configure the NoSpamToday!
service to "Restart on failure" using the Windows control panel.

Please send us your nospamtoday.cf and nospamtoday.log files to nstsupport@byteplant.com.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: bayes db v2 not able to use
Next Topic: inconsistent header info
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 15:30:26 CET 2016