Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail SpamAssassin Filter » Learning spam error
Learning spam error [message #503] Wed, 07 December 2005 16:36
jlong
I get this error; at least I think it is an error.

Learned tokens from 62 message(s) (5461 message(s) examined)
locker: safe_unlock: unlink failed: db\bayes.lock

Another problem I am having is when I upgraded a couple versions ago the learn spam process takes an extremely long time to finish. Before it would run in about less than a minute, now it takes about 30 minutes!

Also more spam than usual is slipping through.

Thanks

*edit
This is the command I am using to teach the spam software.
C:\Program Files\No Spam Today!>sa\sa-learn -C sa\ruleset --showdots --spam --mb
ox c:\spam

I use mozilla thunderbird to get the messages to learn. I am using nst version 2.3.3.2

Post Edited (12-07-05 16:40)
Bump [message #504 is a reply to message #503] Mon, 12 December 2005 17:09 Go to previous message
jlong
Any Ideas.
Also what does it mean when it says the following

Learned tokens from 62 message(s) (5461 message(s) examined)

More importantly this (5461 message(s) examined)

Thanks
Re: Bump [message #505 is a reply to message #504] Tue, 13 December 2005 14:25 Go to previous message
support
>Learned tokens from 62 message(s) (5461 message(s) examined)
> locker: safe_unlock: unlink failed: db\bayes.lock

See if this file is present (the path db\bayes.lock points to a file in a subdirectory of your installation).
If the file exists, it can be safely deleted, it seems sometimes SpamAssassin is unable to do this by itself.
Leftover lock files may occur along with expiry problems, see the maintenance section of the manual for more information.

> Also what does it mean when it says the following
>
> Learned tokens from 62 message(s) (5461 message(s) examined)
>
> More importantly this (5461 message(s) examined)

The mbox you fed into sa-learn contained 5461 messages. Most of them were duplicates (same message ID), and only 62 messages were learned.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Learning spam error [message #506 is a reply to message #503] Tue, 13 December 2005 17:09 Go to previous message
jlong
How can I get rid of the 5,000+ old messages. This seams to be slowing down the learning process. Once I teach the software I delete the messages from thunderbird.

Thanks
Re: Learning spam error [message #507 is a reply to message #503] Wed, 14 December 2005 08:52 Go to previous message
Heidner
You are not emptying the spam mailbox inbetween learning sessions... so it is building up. Spam assassin will look at every item in the mbox and if has seen a mail previously it will ignore it. So you need to empy your spam mail box after exporting and learning it.
Re: Learning spam error [message #508 is a reply to message #507] Wed, 14 December 2005 17:21 Go to previous message
jlong
I am using thunderbird, and everytime I learn the spam I delete and empty the trash. The account that I connect to is only setup for handling spam mail that has made it through. Where would these messages be stuck?

I move the spam from the pop account folder to a local folder in thunderbird. For example right now there are only 44 messages in the spam Local Folder in thunderbird.

Then I move the local folder to a seprate folder like this.

cd\
cd spam
del spam
del spam.*
cd\
cd profile\mail\local folders\
copy spam.msf c:\spam
copy spam c:\spam
cd\
pause

Here is the learn-spam.bat file

rem learns an mbox mail folder as spam
rem
rem replace spam.mbox with the name of the mail folder to learn
rem execute this batch in installation directory

sa\sa-learn -C sa\ruleset --showdots --spam --mbox c:\spam

pause

Thanks for the help on this,

John
Re: Learning spam error [message #509 is a reply to message #503] Wed, 14 December 2005 17:36 Go to previous message
jlong
Apparently once you delete the mail from a folder you have to right click on it and select "Compact This Folder" in order for it to completely purge the old stuff??? Why thunderbird does this I don't know. Seams like a potential security risk, or maybe a way to retrieve accidentally deleted e-mail? Maybe it is a bug in the version I have. I will check for updates to thunderbird.

After figuring this out it now learns in less than a minute again!!!

Thanks for all of your help.
Previous Topic: Blocking good email
Next Topic: No more China mail please!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 01 05:10:58 CEST 2016