Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Add-ons » NST2071 & ClamWin
NST2071 & ClamWin [message #249] Tue, 28 June 2005 02:32
safaritech
I am setting up the 2.0.7.1 demo version of NST Proxy on a Win2003 Web Edition server and have installed ClamWin 0.86.1 (Windows version of Clam AV) as the AV counterpart.

When I run the Wizard and choose Clam Antivirus, and then select the path to ClamScan.exe it states the AV test failed.

I even tried setting up the commandline with the DB path flag, as recommended by ClamWin for commandline operation. Still will not test properly.

Is anyone else running this combination and having troubles? or had troubles and has an answer?
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin [message #250 is a reply to message #249] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:25 Go to previous message
support
> I am setting up the 2.0.7.1 demo version of NST Proxy on a
> Win2003 Web Edition server and have installed ClamWin 0.86.1
> (Windows version of Clam AV) as the AV counterpart.
>
> When I run the Wizard and choose Clam Antivirus, and then
> select the path to ClamScan.exe it states the AV test failed.
>
> I even tried setting up the commandline with the DB path
> flag, as recommended by ClamWin for commandline operation.
> Still will not test properly.
>
> Is anyone else running this combination and having troubles?
> or had troubles and has an answer?

Did you change the default installation directory of ClamAV ?
What happens if you run clamscan.exe from the commandline ?
Please make sure you are using the latest ClamAV-Win32 release from
http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32

Post Edited (06-28-05 10:40)

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin [message #251 is a reply to message #250] Tue, 28 June 2005 18:33 Go to previous message
safaritech
Thanks... I actually figured it out after playing with a batch file for awhile to see if I could get ClamWin to tell me what was up.

I am using the version available from clamwin.net, which is a suggested version from ClamAV, and also includes a GUI.

Apparently the commandline for ClamScan now requires the additional flag for the database that points to the DB directory (at least on Windows). Your software does not include that flag by default (I saw the other flags it uses as part of the config but it was not amongst them).

After playing with some quotation marks in the syntax used for the shortcut and flags, I finally figured it out and got it to accept the test.

If anyone else is using ClamWin with your software, it needs to use this in the pathway when specifying the clamscan file:

"C:\path to file\clamscan.exe" --database="C:\path to where database is stored"

Post Edited (06-28-05 18:35)
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin [message #252 is a reply to message #251] Wed, 29 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous message
Dave Camenisch
Is the default path to the database: "c:\clamav-devel\share\clamav" ?

Since I updated to 2.0.7.1 my ClamAV filter is not working anymore. The log says "Filter result is accept/deliver" but the mails never arrives in the mailbox...! Instead I get an empty mail like this:

Return-path:
Received: from [192.168.157.91] (unverified [213.193.120.45]) by cyberdog.ch
(Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.6) with ESMTP id for ;
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:18:10 +0200
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:18:10 +0200
Message-ID:
C:\WINNT\TEMP\ClamAV1i.msg: OK
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.4 (2005-06-05) on cyberdog
X-Spam-Level: *
X-Spam-Status: No, score=1.3 required=5.8 tests=MISSING_HEADERS,
MISSING_SUBJECT autolearn=no version=3.0.4

-- Dave
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin (bug found!?) [message #253 is a reply to message #252] Wed, 29 June 2005 09:46 Go to previous message
Dave Camenisch
I found out why I get the empty mails and why ClamAV doesn't work!

When I check the "Use Console Output (stdout)" I get the empty mail. When I uncheck the this option the mails are ok.

Is this a bug? Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Btw: what means this log entry: "... (Clam Anti Virus) Kill failed: Zugriff verweigert" ?

@Safaritech: ClamAV works without any additional database path settings on my server.

-- Dave
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin (bug found!?) [message #254 is a reply to message #253] Wed, 29 June 2005 11:31 Go to previous message
support
> When I check the "Use Console Output (stdout)" I get the
> empty mail. When I uncheck the this option the mails are ok.
>
> Is this a bug? Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

An anti-virus scanner usually does not output a modified (sanitized) input message, hence for all anti-virus filters this option is unchecked by default. If the message is delivered, it is passed as is (the input message is used as filter output message).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: NST2071 & ClamWin (bug found!?) [message #255 is a reply to message #254] Wed, 04 January 2006 00:09 Go to previous message
dpackham
to get mine to work I had to add

--database="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\db"

to the end of the commandline to get it to recognize the AV DB

Dave P
Previous Topic: Attachment Filter White List
Next Topic: NST and Sophos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 01 20:56:20 CEST 2016