Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Add-ons » Learning spam
Learning spam [message #225] Sun, 25 September 2005 15:10
InforMed Direct
We've just upgraded to the latest version having been running the older version for some time. Some nice new features in there but am I right in saying that there still isn't any way for users of Outlook/Exchange to automate the learn process for spam that gets through?

With the old version we had a real fudge of a mechanism whereby users moved the email into a shared mailbox. IT admin then periodically used Outlook Express to collect all the messages from this mailbox. A 3rd party tool (DBXTRACT) was then used to write the contents of the Outlook Express mailbox into EML files which could then be run through the SA-LEARN program. As I said, a real fudge.

I was kind of hoping that this had been improved in the new version.

BTW - has anyone else found a tool that works with Outlook that can export a folder in Outlook into single EML files? It's probably not that hard to write an Outlook macro to do something similar to DBXTRACT.

Cheers, Rob.

Re: Learning spam [message #226 is a reply to message #225] Mon, 26 September 2005 15:27 Go to previous message
support
InforMed Direct wrote:

> We've just upgraded to the latest version having been running
> the older version for some time. Some nice new features in
> there but am I right in saying that there still isn't any way
> for users of Outlook/Exchange to automate the learn process for
> spam that gets through?

Did you already have a look at the IMAP2mbox tool in the NoSpamToday! contribution area ? Please see
http://www.byteplant.com/support/nospamtoday/contrib.html

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Learning spam [message #227 is a reply to message #225] Thu, 29 September 2005 10:42 Go to previous message
eastwood
if you use mozilla thunderbird instead of outlook express to download the shared mailbox, that stors the mail in mbox format.

It what I do anf then each month i simple copy the mbox folder to the server and run SA-LEARN on that

works really well and not too hard to do

Cheers
Re: Learning spam [message #228 is a reply to message #227] Thu, 29 September 2005 17:25 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> if you use mozilla thunderbird instead of outlook express to
> download the shared mailbox, that stors the mail in mbox
> format.

Thanks - will check that out as well as it'll probably easier than the DBEXTRACT route.

Cheers, Rob.
Re: Learning spam [message #229 is a reply to message #225] Sun, 02 October 2005 19:15 Go to previous message
Heidner
Imap2Mbox was written do do exactly what you've asked without using DBEXTRACT or mozilla.

Your admins setup a simple batch job that runs Imap2mbox at prescribed times. Imap2mbox connects to the exchange (or any other IMAP2 email server) and copies the content of a spam mail box to a spam assassin ready mbox file. The script then runs spamassassin in the learn mode.

You can configure imap2mbox to automatically empty the spam wastebasket when done. You can also create a "HAM" folder such that examples of good e-mails are sent to it and Imap2mbox exports them again so spamassassin can learn them as good e-mails.

If you are using exchange there is a link in the documentation for imap2mbox on how to create global public e-mail folders that anyone can drag their spam into.

For example:

rem learns an mbox mail folder as spam
rem
rem execute this batch in installation directory
rem
rem imap2mbox has been previously configured to read from the mail server and
rem export the emails into the mbox container called "spam.mbox"
rem
rem
rem A logfile called spam.log is created so we can monitor the activities of
rem imap2mbox and spam-learn. Spam.log should be deleted periodically
rem
del spam.mbox
echo *===* >> spam.log
imap2mbox.exe --config=spam.cfg >> spam.log
if exist spam.mbox sa\sa-learn -C sa\ruleset --showdots --spam --mbox spam.mbox >> spam.log
echo Begin to expire old tokens >> spam.log
sa\sa-learn.exe -C sa\ruleset --showdots --force-expire >> spam.log
echo Begin syntax check of SA token database >> spam.log
sa\spamassassin.exe -x -C sa\ruleset --lint >> spam.log
echo IMAP-LEARN-SPAM complete >> spam.log
echo >> spam.log

Will result in....

*===*
The server is: thecount.
Sun Sep 11 04:25:03 2005
2 E-mails to process / 2 - messages selected
Extracting mail from: Public Folders/SPAM WASTEBASKET is complete.
Mail written to mbox: spam.mbox
Messages were deleted after writing to mbox.
Learned from 2 message(s) (2 message(s) examined).
Begin to expire old tokens
Begin syntax check of SA token database
IMAP-LEARN-SPAM complete
ECHO is on.
Re: Learning spam [message #230 is a reply to message #227] Mon, 28 November 2005 20:14 Go to previous message
kfoutts
Okay, got the import to mbox done, I've offered a couple hundered emails to the lean spam db but I'm still getting the same emails through, any ideas?

Post Edited (11-29-05 22:18)
Re: Learning spam [message #231 is a reply to message #230] Fri, 02 December 2005 11:51 Go to previous message
support
Check the X-Spam headers of the mails that get through. You can see the Bayes spam probability in % by looking at the BAYES_XXX test result.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Learning spam [message #232 is a reply to message #231] Wed, 08 February 2006 20:38 Go to previous message
MX1
I tried to setup this solution, but I get a problem in using imap2mbox.

The log-file tells the following:

The server is: mailserver.
Wed Feb 8 20:19:59 2006
E-mails to process / 1 - messages selected
Extracting mail from: Public Folders/z_HAM is complete.
Mail written to mbox: Y:\(... full path ...)\ham.mbox

But: in the public exchange folder in my EX55 there a 2 ham mails, but only one was extracted.

When opening ham.mbox with text editor it only show the foloowing content:

From

Here in Germany, we use some special letters like Ä Ö Ü,...

The public folders have such a letter:
"Öffentliche Ordner" But writing this in the batch-file leads to
=ffentliche Ordner

Second thing is:
There's a structure like
Öffentliche Ordner
Favoriten
alle öffentlichen Ordner
z_ham
z_spam

How to address folder z_ham or z_spam ?

Third prob:
when using parameter --delete=1 then I get a message: "Option delete does not take an argument"; doesn't matter if I use 0 or 1

Thank you in advance for your help.

By the way: NT4 Server, EX5.5SP4, NST2.3.3.4
Re: Learning spam [message #233 is a reply to message #225] Thu, 09 February 2006 18:06 Go to previous message
Heidner
Could you paste a copy of your IMAP2mbox config file into the thread so I could look at it.

But before sending remember to blank out the line that the "magic" number on it. For example my config file for spam looks like:

[Server]
Name=the-server
Port=143

[User]
Name=heidner_wa/dennis/heidner
Magic= ---- blanked out ----

[Public Box]
Path=Public Folders/
Folder=SPAM WASTEBASKET

[Output]
Mbox=spam.mbox

[Options]
Verbose=1
Delete=1
Timestamp=WedMar21553222005

[Timestamp]

heidner_wa is the MS NT domain name, dennis is the e-mail box and "heidner" is the alias of the e-mail box dennis. The path to the public folders is "Public Folders/" (the / is important) and the actual spam mailbox is "SPAM WASTEBASKET".

My config file for HAM looks like:

[Server]
Name=the-count
Port=143

[User]
Name=heidner_wa/dennis/heidner
Magic= --- blank out this line ----

[Public Box]
Path=Public Folders/
Folder=HAM

[Output]
Mbox=ham.mbox

[Options]
Verbose=1
Delete=1
Timestamp=WedMar21553222005

[Timestamp]

I use the following script to process the spam

rem learns an mbox mail folder as spam
rem
rem execute this batch in installation directory
rem
rem imap2mbox has been previously configured to read from the mail server and
rem export the emails into the mbox container called "spam.mbox"
rem
rem
rem A logfile called spam.log is created so we can monitor the activities of
rem imap2mbox and spam-learn. Spam.log should be deleted periodically
rem
del spam.mbox

echo *===* >> spam.log

if exist spam.mbox sa\sa-learn -C sa\ruleset --showdots --spam --mbox spam.mbox >> spam.log

echo >> spam.log

It generates the log entries that look like:

*===*
The server is: the-count.
Fri Jan 20 04:25:06 2006
1 E-mails to process / 1 - messages selected
Extracting mail from: Public Folders/SPAM WASTEBASKET is complete.
Messages were deleted after writing to mbox.
Learned tokens from 1 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
expired old bayes database entries in 108 seconds
184254 entries kept, 1541 deleted
token frequency: 1-occurrence tokens: 64.87%
token frequency: less than 8 occurrences: 20.96%
IMAP-LEARN-SPAM complete
ECHO is on.
*===*

NOTE NOTE!!!!

Notice when viewing the path of the spam wastebasket in outlook -- it would appear that you must configure IMAP2MBOX with the path of "Path=Public Folders/All Public Folders/" .. this is incorrect.. the actual path that exchange wants is "Path=Public Folders/". Microsoft for some reason has confused the issue by adding in the "All Public Folders" subcategory when viewing from outlook.

Before posting your config file... make sure you blank out the "magic" line.

It would help if you can include copies of an output from learning and the script you might be using to run IMAP2mbox (as I've done above). But remember to delete or clear out the magic line...
Re: Learning spam [message #234 is a reply to message #225] Thu, 09 February 2006 18:11 Go to previous message
Heidner
Your path setting should look something like:

Path=Öffentliche Ordner/

The ham folder would be:

Folder=z_ham

and Spam would be

Folder=z_spam
Re: Learning spam [message #235 is a reply to message #225] Thu, 09 February 2006 23:48 Go to previous message
MX1
Thanks for the support. I double checked everything, but I have no idea what is running wrong. Pls find the files as follows:

1. creating the spam.cfg
I call the following command to first create a config-file:
======================================
imap2mbox.exe --config="spam.cfg" --path="Öffentliche Ordner/" --folder="z_SPAM" --server=192.168.100.100 --username="GUELICH/Administrator/admin" --mbox="spam.mbox" --pass=*** >> spam.log
Then I get a config-file as follows:
[Server]
Name=192.168.100.100
Port=143

[User]
Name=GUELICH/Administrator/admin
Magic=***

[Public Box]
Path=Öffentliche Ordner/
Folder=z_SPAM

[Output]
Mbox=spam.mbox

[Options]
Verbose=1
Delete=0
Timestamp=
Then I start the following file learn_spam.bat (similar to yours)
del spam.mbox
echo *===* >> spam.log

echo. >> spam.log
This creates a logfile like that:
*===*
The server is: 192.168.100.100.
Thu Feb 9 23:29:37 2006
E-mails to process / 1 - messages selected
Extracting mail from: Íffentliche Ordner/z_SPAM is complete.
Learned tokens from 1 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
IMAP-LEARN-SPAM complete

But there are not only 1 email in the folder z_spam but 48, just for testing purpose.

In my opinion the mistake is in the german translation of Publich Folders. In my config file, it is written as Öffentliche Ordner, starting with lette "Ö", but on the screen while the batch is running it is displayed as

Íffentliche Ordner

with letter "Í".

Are there other people having experience with a german EX55?

My second problem seems to be solved after havin read your above message. I did not make test about the "delete" parameter, this will follow later on when the most important things are running.

Hoping this posting will help you.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Learning spam [message #236 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 10 February 2006 05:38 Go to previous message
Heidner
IMAP2MBOX is a perl application. I used ActiveStates perl SDK for the program. I will check to see if their libraries have a problem with international languages. And if so what steps I must take to fix the problem.

Meanwhile could you run IMAP2mbox with the "--debug" and "--verbose" switches, then copy the output -- removing any sensitive information (like passwords) and paste into thread or e-mail me...

my e-mail is dennis "at" heidners.net replacing "at" with @
Re: Learning spam [message #237 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 10 February 2006 05:47 Go to previous message
Heidner
One other possibility... can you try some other user beside "Administrator" to open and read the public mailbox?

The reason being is that with NT4.0 and Exchange 5.5, strange things happen when you try to access the administrators mailbox.

(Hint - don't try adding Outlook onto the exchange server... it may break!).

The reason is that MS creates some special e-mail accounts that are used to manage the information store, routing, etc... and you may be getting caught by that. Several years ago I had a rather nasty experience as a result of trying to change the e-mail profile away from the Exchange defined account to another one... on the exchange server. lots of stuff broke until I returned the settings...
Re: Learning spam [message #238 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 10 February 2006 10:15 Go to previous message
Frostie
Hi MX1

I had the same problem (Ex 2000 German), but was able to solve it.

I configured Imap2Mbox so that I can access my normal Inbox.
After that I started Imap2Mbox with the parameter --debug, which gave
me, beside other information, a folder list.

In that list the public folders look like:

"&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/"
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/QS-Kundenkontakte
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/HWM_intern
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Kunden
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Lieferanten
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Vertriebsbesprechungsraum
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Termine Gesch&AOQ-ftsf&APw-hrung
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Kaufm&AOQ-nnische Leitung Aufgaben
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Kaufm&AOQ-nnische Leitung Kalender
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Spam-Mails
&ANY-ffentliche Ordner/Internet Newsgroups

I simply copied the name for the public folders from that list in my config file and...voila...it works.

Hope it works for you

Marc
Re: Learning spam [message #239 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 10 February 2006 16:15 Go to previous message
MX1
Hello Dennis,
hello Marc,

problem is solved, it is running perfectly now.

It was the problem of the spelling. After using Marc's trick is was runiing like it never has done anything else before. Great software. Thanks (for software as well as for the support).

Michael
Re: Learning spam [message #240 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 10 February 2006 17:43 Go to previous message
Heidner
Thanks, Marc and Michael

I will add the suggestion of using debug to look at the current folder names to the document file.

I am pleased to hear it is working for both of you.
Re: Learning spam [message #241 is a reply to message #240] Fri, 10 February 2006 19:24 Go to previous message
MX1
Dennis, one other question: is it possible to start 2 tasks of imap2mbox at the same time on the same machine, eg. 4:00 a.m. learningham.bat and learningspam.bat or should I wait, e.g. 1/2 hour until I start the next process?
Re: Learning spam [message #242 is a reply to message #225] Sat, 11 February 2006 07:33 Go to previous message
Heidner
You should be able to run multiple copies of IMAP2MBOX at the same time. Especially since the config files would be different and the resulting ham/spam mbox would be unique.

You should change the scripts so that you export the ham, export the spam. Then in a new batch file learn spam, then learn ham and force the expire.

It might also work just to merge the scripts into one batch file. export ham and spam then immediately learn both of them. The process should go pretty quick.
Re: Learning spam [message #243 is a reply to message #225] Sat, 11 February 2006 09:02 Go to previous message
MX1
Thank you, I did not think about the easiest way to bring both batch files together.
Re: Learning spam [message #244 is a reply to message #225] Thu, 18 January 2007 21:27 Go to previous message
Anonymous
When I run imap2mbox I get an error "Invalid string supplied for user name" when trying to logon to the server. I've tried every combination of username I can think of. I am putting in domain\username\alias (which are the same by the way) tusers9 and tusers9 for both username and alias. Any suggestions to get this to work?
Previous Topic: McAfee tip
Next Topic: Error using anti-virus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 30 15:28:11 CEST 2016