Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Feature Requests » sa-learn and Outlook/Exchange
sa-learn and Outlook/Exchange [message #192] Tue, 04 September 2007 10:27
InforMed Direct
Outlook & Exchange must be a very common combination so the request is to implement some automatic method of learning whereby all the users have to do is forward a false positive to an email address.

I appreciate that you don't want to be adding in logic into Exchange so I though I had was that maybe you could support a mail forwarding service. I would forward my spam to (say) informed-direct@nospamtoday.com. You would then process this (stripping out the forwarding maybe) and then forward on to a special email address in our domain, e.g. spamlearner@informed-direct.com.

Another filter could be added to pickup email to this address and pass through the learner automatically.

The reason for going via an external forwarding service is that if a user simply forwarded it internally to spamlearner@informed-direct.com it wouldn't actually go through No Spam Today, Exchange would (I think) handle it internally as it's managing the informed-direct.com domain.

Cheers, Rob.

Re: sa-learn and Outlook/Exchange [message #193 is a reply to message #192] Sat, 15 December 2007 10:36 Go to previous message
Heidner
Rob, I had looked into forwarding earlier with exchange/outlook also.

The #1 problem I saw (at least with exchange 5.5) was that forwarding an e-mail from one mail box to another actually resulted in the mail headers being modified or worse yet - removed and replaced with info that reflected your internal mail server. If I remember correctly the bayesian engine in Spamassassin learns be looking at the WHOLE e-mail not just the message body - thus removing / altering the headers may actually change the accuracy of the later filtering.

I haven't looked recently with exchange 2000 or later, I finally gave up and just added a global mailbox that you could drag the spam into.... then learn the spam from it. That doesn't alter the headers -- and it is available to all e-mail accounts.
Previous Topic: report tab more useful
Next Topic: saving admin monitoring windows settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 13:25:28 CET 2016