Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » spamc/spamd
spamc/spamd [message #1925] Thu, 27 March 2008 14:11
James Wilkinson
Hi there,

I just installed 3.1.2.1 over 3.1.1.4. It offers spamc and spamd support as one of the main options. I'm used to these programs from SpamAssassin on Linux, so I thought I'd investigate. And I've got a few questions...

1. On the SpamAssassin Filter Wizard, there's a new Client/Server Filtering checkbox. I presume this is how you turn it on, but the default command line begins sa\spamassassin.exe -- shouldn't that be sa\spamc.exe when using the client/server filtering?

I have previously customised the command line on my install, so maybe the wizard is trying not to over-rule my changes, but either pressing the "Restore Default Command Line" button or trying to install a new filter still gives the sa\spamassassin.exe command line.

(If I edit this command line to "sa\spamc %FLAGS% -x -E" and running "Test with Sample Spam", it looks like it's working, but I'm not putting this into practice until I've got a good answer to question 2).

2. How exactly is spamd supposed to be started? If I run it from the command line, it takes a few seconds to start -- is there any way of ensuring that this runs before NoSpamToday (so there's a daemon for SpamAssassin to connect to...)

It Would Be Nice if this was a service, which you could set to automatically restart if it ever stopped.

3. Will there be any ways of customising the spamd daemon's command line, in the same way as there is for spamassassin?

4. Could you add support for a fallback to sa\spamassassin in case anything did go wrong with spamd?

5. Could you put some documentation somewhere? There's no mention of spamd in the manual or online help.

This is probably asking a lot...

Thanks,

James.
Re: spamc/spamd [message #1926 is a reply to message #1925] Thu, 27 March 2008 18:50 Go to previous message
support
> 1. On the SpamAssassin Filter Wizard, there's a new
> Client/Server Filtering checkbox. I presume this is how you
> turn it on, but the default command line begins
> sa\spamassassin.exe -- shouldn't that be sa\spamc.exe when
> using the client/server filtering?
>
> I have previously customised the command line on my install, so
> maybe the wizard is trying not to over-rule my changes, but
> either pressing the "Restore Default Command Line" button or
> trying to install a new filter still gives the
> sa\spamassassin.exe command line.
>
> (If I edit this command line to "sa\spamc %FLAGS% -x -E" and
> running "Test with Sample Spam", it looks like it's working,
> but I'm not putting this into practice until I've got a good
> answer to question 2).
>
If client/server filtering is enabled, the default command line is automatically overridden with an appropriate spamc command line. As there are too many ways to shoot yourself in the foot, the spamc command line is not available for configuration at the moment.

> 2. How exactly is spamd supposed to be started? If I run it
> from the command line, it takes a few seconds to start -- is
> there any way of ensuring that this runs before NoSpamToday (so
> there's a daemon for SpamAssassin to connect to...)
>
> It Would Be Nice if this was a service, which you could set to
> automatically restart if it ever stopped.
>
> 3. Will there be any ways of customising the spamd daemon's
> command line, in the same way as there is for spamassassin?
>
Spamd is automatically started as soon as the first message is filtered. As above, the spamd command line is not available for configuration.

> 4. Could you add support for a fallback to sa\spamassassin in
> case anything did go wrong with spamd?
>
Spamd seems to be very stable, and restarts itself automatically after a certain number of messages have been filtered. So far, we have not seen spamd causing trouble, but if it ever does, we will add some fallback or spamd restart scheme.

> 5. Could you put some documentation somewhere? There's no
> mention of spamd in the manual or online help.
>
Documentation is in the works, and will follow with the next release.

If the default command lines do not suit you, you can disable client/server filtering in NST, and implement spamc/spamd filtering by yourself: start spamd from the task scheduler, and override the SpamAssassin filter command line with an appropriate spamc command.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Block Country by using DNSBL
Next Topic: unlimited domains
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 27 03:51:08 CEST 2016