Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Server Query
Server Query [message #1919] Thu, 06 March 2008 15:56
TheA-Team
Hi all,

Sorry for the long question on my first post but i have just taken over a small exchange server with NoSpamToday running.

All mail comes into the nospamtoday server then passed to the exchange server.

Currently they do not have a secondary MX server, so when the exchange server is being rebooted for service patches the mail is bounced back which is not good. I am going to setup a secondary MX record to point to our ISP / DNS provider.

My question is which is the best way to get access to that mail on the secondary MX server? is it best for Exchange to query it directly when back online (this would not filter the mail through NoSpamToday) or can NoSpamToday hold onto the email or pick it up from the secondary MX server?

Many thanks for your time
Ian
Re: Server Query [message #1920 is a reply to message #1919] Fri, 07 March 2008 14:14 Go to previous message
support
Some Spammers specifically target the secondary MX, if there is one, based on the assumption that it is not as well protected as the primary MX.

So, whichever way you go, make sure that mail collected by the secondary MX is filtered.

Probably it is enough to just configure the secondary MX to relay all messages to the primary MX (which is NST). The secondary MX will buffer any messages that arrive until the primary MX is back up.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Block all emails not on a list
Next Topic: open relay test failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 01:16:59 CET 2016