Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Feature Requests » Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings
Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #145] Sun, 08 August 2004 00:29
Mark Haller

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed ...

It would be nice to administer the SPAM settings via a web interface, remotely?

Is that possible currently? Coming up in version 2.0 ?

Cheers!

Mark
LogicSpot
UK
Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #146 is a reply to message #145] Tue, 10 August 2004 18:49 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> It would be nice to administer the SPAM settings via a web
> interface, remotely?

What is it with users nowadays - everything has to have a web interface Smile

Cheers, Rob.
Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #147 is a reply to message #146] Tue, 10 August 2004 19:29 Go to previous message
Mark Haller

hahahaha

Very good! First time I've been called a user actually .... not me administering the jokes about "problem with keyboard and hand interface" jokes.

Actually, thinking about it more - an HTTP interface wouldn't be that hot. I was thinking trying to remotely manage the software settings without having to remote desktop/VNC/PCA onto the box. But if you cannot remote connect to a box because of firewalls, there's no way you could administer the proxy web setup as that would also be on a non-standard port. Hmm.

I guess scrap this request. Just make sure version 2 is absolutely amazing and has many many many (* lots) more detailed setup screens!

Incidentally - where can we see a feature list for version 2? Is it in beta testing or what stage is it at? And how can we help progress its delivery?

Mark
LogicSpot
UK

Post Edited (08-11-04 08:16)
Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #148 is a reply to message #147] Wed, 11 August 2004 17:18 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> software settings without having to remote desktop/VNC/PCA onto
> the box. But if you cannot remote connect to a box because of
> firewalls, there's no way you could administer the proxy web
> setup as that would also be on a non-standard port. Hmm.

Yeah we use VNC to logon to the NST box but we also (fortunately) use Citrix Metaframe so we can "publish" the VNC client on the Internet Smile Metaframe is the computer worlds undiscovered gem...

To be honest, the implementation of SpamCOP URI blocks has made a huge difference to No Spam Today. Until then, it was okay - but too many spams got through. Now, it's a lot, lot better with spam just been an occasional annoyance as opposed to darn right annoying.

Rob.

Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #149 is a reply to message #148] Wed, 11 August 2004 18:11 Go to previous message
Mark Haller

Hi Rob ... can you explain this Metaframe over the net? I've been involved with citrix metaframe from a strategic point for a company once but never got involved technically.

I didn't realise NST used to not use SpamCOP ... that's the only reason I'm looking at it (being fresh to it).

It's working a treat - just need to stitch up Whitelists now, and we're done. Making a start on that this evening.

Mark
Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #150 is a reply to message #149] Wed, 11 August 2004 21:47 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> Hi Rob ... can you explain this Metaframe over the net? I've
> been involved with citrix metaframe from a strategic point for
> a company once but never got involved technically.

(Off-topic but)

Metaframe and Terminal Services are a technology that really shouldn't exit. But it does and it works surprisingly well. There are some similarities between VNC and Metaframe but only in the idea of sending screen updates down the wire one way and key presses the other. The PC client is simply a reasonably dumb terminal. The similarity ends there. With MF & TS (MF adds more features to TS), a number of users are all running virtual sessions on a single terminal server (or more usually a farm of servers). Screen updates are sent down the wire ala VNC.

MF & TS has three primary advantages (for us at least):

1. Reduced TCO - set-up costs are higher but overall TCO is much lower
2. True hotdesking from anywhere in the world (access to all your apps)
3. Very simple to access legacy (non-web) apps across the Intranet/Internet

So it's trivial to "publish" the VNC viewer EXE through our existing MF/TS Internet gateway. I've got an icon on my desktop here at home called VNC which connects (securely) across the Internet, through our firewall and loads VNC viewer on the terminal server. Once it's loaded, it's running on the internal LAN so I can VNC connect to any PC. I'm actually typing this on Citrix right now connected to my normal desktop. Apart from a very, very slight lag now and then (512KB broadband), I could be sat in the office!

Of course, setting all this up takes time and money but I was a sceptic but I'm sold. It allows us to host our large/complex legacy VB app on the Internet using an ASP model.

> I didn't realise NST used to not use SpamCOP ... that's the
> only reason I'm looking at it (being fresh to it).

It only arrived over the past few months but it's neat!

> It's working a treat - just need to stitch up Whitelists now,
> and we're done. Making a start on that this evening.

We've had very few false positives through which is good news. Guess we have about 10 entries in the white list of which the majority are *@xyz.com for our major customers.

Cheers, Rob.
>
>
> Mark

Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #151 is a reply to message #145] Wed, 11 August 2004 21:48 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> It would be nice to administer the SPAM settings via a web
> interface, remotely?

Of course a web interface would be a nice to day Smile

Cheers, Rob.

Re: Use HTTP to administer SPAM settings [message #152 is a reply to message #151] Wed, 11 August 2004 21:48 Go to previous message
InforMed Direct
> Of course a web interface would be a nice to day Smile

Nice to day?? What am I typing...

"Nice to have" of course.

Rob.

Previous Topic: New Feature Request - RDNS
Next Topic: Suggestion for next update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 01:16:54 CET 2016