Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » What is "pass through mode"?
What is "pass through mode"? [message #1463] Mon, 19 June 2006 20:30
FrankWSweet
I ask this, because it appears that some incoming emails are bypassing NST entirely.

These incoming bypassing emails seem to be coming from a bot that I have running. The bot downloads emails from the AOL IMAP server and feeds them into our SMTP server. Although NST might think that they are coming from a local source (the download bot), I still want them checked because they ultimately come from AOL, not from my users.

Frank W. Sweet
Re: What is "pass through mode"? [message #1464 is a reply to message #1463] Tue, 20 June 2006 10:41 Go to previous message
support
"Pass through mode" is automatically entered when a client submits mail using TLS or SMTP AUTH. This is done based on the assumption SMTP AUTH sessions are usually started by local users submitting a messsage to be relayed to a recipient elsewhere.

If your IMAP bot is using SMTP AUTH, maybe you can just disable SMTP AUTH. These messages won't require relaying, as the recipients will be local, and your mail server will accept them just like any other message from the Internet with a local recipient address.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: What is "pass through mode"? [message #1465 is a reply to message #1464] Tue, 20 June 2006 17:29 Go to previous message
FrankWSweet
Thank you. That was precisely the problem. I had set my forwarding bot to authenticate out of habit, I guess. I have changed it to no longer authenticate. By not having it authenticate, NST no longer "trusts" it, and the correct spam-checking, virus-checking, etc. is performed. Thanks again.

Frank W. Sweet
Previous Topic: No Spam Today vs Barracuda?
Next Topic: Listen on two ports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 26 19:19:47 CEST 2016