Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » No buffer space available
No buffer space available [message #1384] Tue, 14 February 2006 17:00
gbh
Has anyone encountered stoppage of NST due to `No buffer space available' error?
I just started using NST for 2 days and on both nights I have to run back to the office to restart the w2k mailserver because of this problem.
The server has 1GB RAM.

I keep the NST SMTP Proxy Admin running on the desktop at all times. Is it a possible cause of the problem?

I am still in the office at this mid-night hours when I should be sleeping. Anyone with suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1385 is a reply to message #1384] Wed, 15 February 2006 02:15 Go to previous message
Heidner
I keep the NST admin console running at all times also - and have not seen the problem.

You need to include the OS platform (Windows/Linux) version service packs, and which version of NST you are using.

Did you check the event log to see if there is anything being reported there also?
Re: No buffer space available [message #1386 is a reply to message #1384] Wed, 15 February 2006 11:06 Go to previous message
gbh
It's W2K windows 2000 server with service pack 4. NST = ver 2.3.3.4 (latest)
Event log has been sent to NST support, but they have come back to ask me to set logging to detailed mode, i.e no soultion yet.
Google search shows that it is quite a common problem in spam filtering, which is resource intensive.
I have reduced the number of simultaneous port connection from default 1000 to 500. Not sure if this will help.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1387 is a reply to message #1384] Wed, 15 February 2006 23:00 Go to previous message
Heidner
spam filtering takes CPU cycles - but it will not cause the problem you are seeing. And it isn't really that horrible. I'm running NST on an 800Mhz PIII, that is also the domain controller, proxy server, exchange server, etc, etc, etc.

So the problem you are seeing may be a minor config problem and the NST logfiles should help the NST support people give you a solution.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1388 is a reply to message #1384] Wed, 15 February 2006 23:32 Go to previous message
Heidner
More info: see http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBG/TIP3400/rh3408.htm

Here is what might be happening.

NST admin uses a socket connection to talk with and control the NST program that processes the incoming mail. If the antivirus product or a firewall product blocks the socket connects from NSTAdmin to NST.exe, then NSTAdmin may continue trying to keep making connections to the NST.exe program, the connection fails, and it retries. The continuous retrying would result in the NSTAdmin process nailing the CPU at near 100%. Eventually with enough failed attempts to open a socket connection the result would be the "no buffer" message.

If you are not using an antivirus product , it could be a product like zonealarm - or any other product that attempts to restrict socket connections.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1389 is a reply to message #1388] Thu, 16 February 2006 11:15 Go to previous message
support
The 'no buffer space available' corresponds to the 'WSAENOBUFS' error code (10055), which is another keyword you can google for.

Among the first hits you will find a link to this Microsoft knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q196271/

It seems there is a registry tweak of the Windows TCP/IP parameters that might solve your problem.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: No buffer space available [message #1390 is a reply to message #1384] Thu, 02 March 2006 11:58 Go to previous message
gbh
Before I start tweaking the Windows registry, I hope to find from this forum if I am the only one facing this problem.
What I can say now is that if I dont turn on the admin program noSPAMtodayAdmin.exe (the green NST icon on desktop), the NST program noSPAMtoday.exe will run in the backgroud without problem. I have proved that by seeing it run for 11 days without problem under such condition. I continue to receive daily summary report from the server which means NST is still working. The only disadvantage is that there will be no NoSPAMtoday log file to generate if the admin service is turned off.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1391 is a reply to message #1384] Fri, 03 March 2006 07:36 Go to previous message
gbh
I made a wrong statement in earlier post about log file not being generated if SMPT admin is turned off. The correct situation is that log file is always generated, but is kept only for a day and being replaced daily with new one automatically.
Re: No buffer space available [message #1392 is a reply to message #1390] Fri, 03 March 2006 12:07 Go to previous message
support
We will have a close look at the admin application.

In the meantime, please try if you can confirm that your problem is indeed caused by running the admin app continuously.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: No buffer space available [message #1393 is a reply to message #1384] Sat, 04 March 2006 11:25 Go to previous message
gbh
I experienced same problem again. After NST stops working, I noticed in task manager that inetinfo.exe is using near 90% of CPU.
Google search leads to this link
http://www.webnewsgroups.net/link.aspx?url=http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891312

I am using Mailenable Enterprise and not MS exchange, so am not sure if it is related
Re: No buffer space available [message #1394 is a reply to message #1384] Tue, 07 March 2006 15:39 Go to previous message
gbh
I think I have found the cause of my not-enough-buffer problem. There is a trojan (sqlck.exe) in the server. When it is executed, it will attempt to communicate with external mailservers, and this somehow causes very high resource usage. If noSPAMtodayAdmin.exe is run at the same time, problem gets worse and NST will stop/hang.
After removing the Trojan, NST looks very stable over the last few days
Previous Topic: Installation on Mac OS 10.4
Next Topic: SMTP Relaying - 2 Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 30 05:13:19 CEST 2016