Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Question about the Filtering Report email?
Question about the Filtering Report email? [message #1334] Sun, 18 December 2005 12:05
eastwood
I have seen this appear now a few times in my email I get daily from NST, I can't easily find an explanation of these in the pdf.

Should I be concerned about the 13 Recipient reject count?

what do they both mean?

Traffic Limiting:
Host/helo connection count exceeded 2
Recipient reject count exceeded 13
Re: Question about the Filtering Report email? [message #1335 is a reply to message #1334] Mon, 19 December 2005 07:48 Go to previous message
Heidner
Traffic limiting can be modified in the SMTP proxy setup... these are values on the about the fourth screen. I believe the defaults are 10 and 10, so at some point you must have changed the values from the original default values.

Host/Helo connection count execede 2 <-- you have limited the number of inbound e-mail connection to your server to TWO external servers at a time. Connections by a third external e-mail server will be refused until the current two connections are finished. HINT if you are also using the new delay filter then this value is too small!!

Recipient reject count exceeded 13 <-- again this is a value that has been modified from the original defaults of 10. This value allows you to stop spammers trying a brute force mailbox attack on your server. By brute force I mean that they do not know the names of your e-mail reciepents - so they are sending mail to any and all possible combinations of names they can think up with your domain name added to the end. like sam1@mailbox.com, bill123@mailbox.com, henry@mailbox.com even though your mailbox names might be eastwood@mailbox.com and clint@mailbox.com.... So increasing the limit from 10 to 13 means you have given the spammers more tries to guess your mailbox names.
Re: Question about the Filtering Report email? [message #1336 is a reply to message #1334] Mon, 19 December 2005 10:43 Go to previous message
eastwood
Cheers Heidner

I have looked in the proxy and yes my max rejecred Recipients is set at 10 so i will leave that.

The others on the traffic limiting screen are as follows:
HostConnectionCount: EMPTY
HeloConnectionCount: EMPTY
Host NDR Connections: EMPTY
Helo NDR Connections: 1

Do you know if this is correct or should their be values in each box?
Re: Question about the Filtering Report email? [message #1337 is a reply to message #1336] Tue, 20 December 2005 11:57 Go to previous message
support
> I have looked in the proxy and yes my max rejecred Recipients
> is set at 10 so i will leave that.
>
> The others on the traffic limiting screen are as follows:
> HostConnectionCount: EMPTY
> HeloConnectionCount: EMPTY
> Host NDR Connections: EMPTY
> Helo NDR Connections: 1
>
> Do you know if this is correct or should their be values in
> each box?

These are the out-of-the-box settings, which usually work for most people.
For the long explanation, please consult the manual, section 4.3.6 (Mail flooding protection), and section 7.1.4.4 for the config file reference.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Question about the Filtering Report email? [message #1338 is a reply to message #1334] Wed, 11 January 2006 15:00 Go to previous message
eastwood
I am using the delay filter and you say the default settign is too low

I have set them all to 5

is that enough?
Previous Topic: Delay filter....
Next Topic: Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 23 05:41:15 CEST 2014