Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Filter e-mail by address?
Filter e-mail by address? [message #1271] Tue, 18 October 2005 23:57
SloppyB
I have been testing out NST for about a week and it has been working great. However (you knew that was coming), today I had 76 messages get through, all with viruses (the attachment filter & f-prot didn't catch them). Again, however, none of these messages were to legitimate e-mail addresses. So, is there any way to have NST accept & filter specific e-mail addresses and bounce all others? The only option I found was filter or don't filter based off of e-mail address.

Thanks
/SloppyB
Re: Filter e-mail by address? [message #1272 is a reply to message #1271] Wed, 19 October 2005 04:45 Go to previous message
Heidner
In the smtp proxy configuration you can specify e-mail addresses that may receive mail. I.E. "*@byteplanet.com" is the example they use. I have a small network so I list the each mailbox. The result is if someone tries to send e-mails to anybody else --- even my domain name --- it would bounce back to them and not be accepted.

On the home page for byteplanet (www.nospamtoday.com) there is an option to test your setup by actually sending patterns of spam and a "test" virus. You can use that to help check out your filters to make sure they are setup correctly. I'd also look at your no spamtoday logfiles F-Protect should have blocked most of those viruses. Sounds like a configuration problem.

One of the nice things about No Spam Today is that it uses the open source Spamassassin tool to check e-mails for spam. in your \nospamtoday!\SA directory you can find some additional documenation including some tips on how to customize the rules and keep the changes in a local configuration file (local.cf). This allows you to adjust the spam rejection rules to meet your needs.
Re: Filter e-mail by address? [message #1273 is a reply to message #1271] Thu, 20 October 2005 18:32 Go to previous message
SloppyB
I assume that you are talking about the NST configuration. It seems to me that in the "Select Recipient Addresses" section that if I were to put e-mail addresses in the "Address Patterns to Disable Filter" section that any e-mail sent to those addresses would pass through with out any filtering. My goal is to set up a filter with 20 "good" e-mail addresses and if any e-mail arrives that doesn't match it gets bounced. With only 20 users I have 225 "Addresses Used" in the "Server Status" and almost all of my bad mail is going to the other 200.
Thanks
Re: Filter e-mail by address? [message #1274 is a reply to message #1273] Fri, 21 October 2005 10:25 Go to previous message
support
What you look for is the "Relay Protection Setting" you can find in the SMTP proxy configuration dialog.

But it might be better if you change your mail server's behavior.
If you are an MS Exchange 2003 user, you can change the configuration of Exchange to no longer accept mail to invalid addresses. Other mail server software should offer the same functionality (after all, it is the standard to reject mail to bad addressses). Read this:

http://www.byteplant.com/support/nospamtoday/howtorejectexchange.html

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Error message when learning spam...
Next Topic: Spam & Virus check outgoing mail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 27 14:07:08 CEST 2016