Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Outside users cannot send mail
Outside users cannot send mail [message #1263] Tue, 18 October 2005 00:01
reedphoto
All inbound mail proxies to NST on port 25. Outside users of our domain are unable to send mail through our domain mail server. When inbound(port 25) is redirected to the mail server(NST is bypassed), qualified outside users have full access.

What might be happening here in NST to prevent outside access and is there anything that can be done to recitify the issue?

Working to keep the internet a cleaner place.
Re: Outside users cannot send mail [message #1264 is a reply to message #1263] Wed, 19 October 2005 04:36 Go to previous message
Heidner
Sounds like you want to allow relaying. You can do that --- but be VERY careful. Simple mistakes with relaying servers are major sources of spam AND they will quickly result in your domain being black listed. You may even find that your ISP pulls your connection for violating their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

That being said, you can explain more "Outside users of our domain are unable to send mail through our domain mail server. " Are these "outside users" connecting to your internal network through a VPN connection or are they just accessing the mail server via WAN connection?

In general you want your e-mail clients to access the internal mail servers either through an IMAP connection (if Exchange) or by connecting to the alternate port (typically 26) that NST is forwarding the incoming mail to... That would allow your "outside users" to bypass NST completely.

But remember if the combination is attached via a WAN connection to the internet without filtering to prevent external hackers from also connecting to port 26 --- you will become a spam relay point in just a matter of a few hours!!! Hackers and spammers often have "bots" scanning for unsecure networks and servers.
Re: Outside users cannot send mail [message #1265 is a reply to message #1264] Wed, 19 October 2005 14:53 Go to previous message
support
In the latest version (2.3.3.1) all filtering is automatically disabled if the outside bound mail sessions use SMTP AUTH. So if your outside users use SMTP AUTH, they will be able to send mail to outside recipients.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Outside users cannot send mail [message #1266 is a reply to message #1263] Mon, 31 October 2005 11:24 Go to previous message
otellodb
It is correct, that all filtering ist automatically disabled, but i have the problem that the target adress is still tested against the recipient list.

coming mail action: reject/delete
Oct 31, 2005, 11:01:56 Session 0: Connection closed by client
Oct 31, 2005, 11:14:26 Session 0: Recipient address reject: dr.dieterbraun@t-online.de
Oct 31, 2005, 11:14:29 Session 0: Connection closed by client

This makes no sense, as i don't know every email address the users which use SMTP AUTH from outside will use. If i don't use the recipient address the systems is warning me for relaying.

Any solustions for this ?

Dieter Braun
Re: Outside users cannot send mail [message #1267 is a reply to message #1266] Mon, 31 October 2005 14:29 Go to previous message
support
otellodb wrote:

> It is correct, that all filtering ist automatically disabled,
> but i have the problem that the target adress is still tested
> against the recipient list.
>
> coming mail action: reject/delete
> Oct 31, 2005, 11:01:56 Session 0: Connection closed by client
> Oct 31, 2005, 11:14:26 Session 0: Recipient address reject:
> dr.dieterbraun@t-online.de
> Oct 31, 2005, 11:14:29 Session 0: Connection closed by client
>
> This makes no sense, as i don't know every email address the
> users which use SMTP AUTH from outside will use. If i don't use
> the recipient address the systems is warning me for relaying.
>
> Any solustions for this ?

Please turn on detailed logging, send an email using SMTP AUTH via NST
and send the resulting nospamtoday.log file to nstsupport@byteplant.com.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: DATE_IN_FUTURE
Next Topic: Error message when learning spam...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 11:29:29 CET 2016