Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » DATE_IN_FUTURE
DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1257] Wed, 12 October 2005 21:31
RandallRash
Most of my mail is getting slapped with the DATE_IN_FUTURE score. Looking at the headers seems to indicate that the NST server is adding the 5 hour offset for U.S. Central Daylight Time to get a GMT time. However, the offset is already figured into the NST server time so it should not add anything.
Example: Mail comes in at 15:00:00 (3 pm in the afternoon) and the header shows that NST accepted the message at 20:00:00. This would be the 15:00:00 CDT
(-5000). I just noticed this in the last upgrade. Have I got something wrong? The date and time on my NST server and e-mail server are correctly set and indicates Central Time Zone and daylight savings.
Re: DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1258 is a reply to message #1257] Thu, 13 October 2005 11:39 Go to previous message
support
I can't find a fault with your reasoning, it should work, 20:00 +0000, and 15:00 -0500 is the same time, and what you describe is a rather common case: mail is submitted in a timezone different from the timezone were it is received.

All I can say is that it works in all our test installations, and in our productive installations.

I have no idea what may cause this behavior with your installation.
If there is no compelling reason to have your NoSpamToday! server in a different timezone, I suggest you put it in the same timezone as your other servers.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1259 is a reply to message #1257] Fri, 14 October 2005 11:31 Go to previous message
support
It seems that there are more users that may have this problem. This behaviour is caused by a wrong system clock setting on your server.

This problem was not as visible in earlier versions of SpamAssassin, because the score of the DATE_IN_FUTURE rules was lower. So if your system clock (timezone) setting on the NoSpamToday! server is incorrect, the DATE_IN_FUTURE rules may now make legitimate mails appear as spam.

Remedy: fix your system clock settings.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1260 is a reply to message #1257] Wed, 26 October 2005 00:00 Go to previous message
mrpennies
I am having the same issue. Looks like my time is set the way it should.. All time zones are PST and everything else like log files in other programs work.. It seems to only be a problem with NOSPAMTODAY... Thoughts?

Thanks
Re: DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1261 is a reply to message #1260] Wed, 26 October 2005 16:18 Go to previous message
RandallRash
I archive my daily log files and noticed this morning that this file reports the time. So I went back to past files and found where the problem started. It coincided with a version update in NST.

No Spam Today! Service V2.0.7.1 100 Recipients Daily Spam Filtering Report Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:00:00 -0500

No Spam Today! Service V2.3.1.1 100 Recipients Daily Spam Filtering Report Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:00:00 +0000

Perhaps this will help someone decide if it's a program bug. (Maybe SpamAssassin).
Re: DATE_IN_FUTURE [message #1262 is a reply to message #1261] Thu, 27 October 2005 18:02 Go to previous message
support
It seems that some Windows hosts are affected: we were able to get our hands on a system were we could reproduce this problem.

It seems this issue only affects the Trial/Registered version (Windows), while (surprisingly) the Freeware version was OK.

While we are not yet sure what causes the problem, we have a workaround ready that fixes this issue. Users affected by this problem should update to version 2.3.3.2.

In the new version, you can check the timezone settings used in NoSpamToday! by checking the current date/time the new version writes to the log file upon service startup. The GMT time offset must be reported correctly, e.g. GMT -0500 for Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Just updated to new version...
Next Topic: Outside users cannot send mail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 26 15:53:53 CEST 2016