Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Install Help Windows 2003
Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1223] Wed, 24 August 2005 04:30
slevytam
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with install for Server 2003. Currently, I am running the microsoft smtp/pop3 service on the server.

I have run into two problems in my attempt to install nst. First when I enter the outgoing server and port (Outgoing server set to computer's ip, and port set to 25) and then click the test button, I get this error: "(tcp) valid name, no data record of requested type"

Also, I cannot even get the service to start.

Thanks,

slevytam

PS (Incoming IP is set to all, and incoming port number is 25)
Re: Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1224 is a reply to message #1223] Wed, 24 August 2005 11:09 Go to previous message
support
slevytam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if I could get some assistance with install for
> Server 2003. Currently, I am running the microsoft smtp/pop3
> service on the server.
>
> I have run into two problems in my attempt to install nst.
> First when I enter the outgoing server and port (Outgoing
> server set to computer's ip, and port set to 25) and then click
> the test button, I get this error: "(tcp) valid name, no data
> record of requested type"
>
> Also, I cannot even get the service to start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> slevytam
>
> PS (Incoming IP is set to all, and incoming port number is 25)

You should configure a second IP address on this machine for use with NST.
Set the incoming IP of NST to this new address (port 25) and set the
outgoing server to the previously used IP (port 25).
Make sure that your firewall delivers incoming SMTP traffic to the newly
created IP.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1225 is a reply to message #1224] Thu, 25 August 2005 23:33 Go to previous message
slevytam
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I have added the new IP and set NST to as you recommended. It does seem as though it is filtering mail; however, I have a few more questions!

I used to have a huge problem with my badmail directory growing!!! This directory is still filling... How can I fix this?

Also, I am now getting a maximum number of licensed recipient mail addresses exceeded error. I only really use one address as this is for personal use. All mail going to other address is spam. How do I resolve this?

Thank you,

slevytam

PS. How can I test that incoming mail is being filter properly? Smile
Re: Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1226 is a reply to message #1223] Thu, 25 August 2005 23:44 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
What mail software are you using? When you say "microsoft smtp/pop3 service", are you talking about the components that come with IIS? Or Exchange server?

Post Edited (08-25-05 23:44)
Re: Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1227 is a reply to message #1226] Thu, 25 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous message
slevytam
Thanks for your reply,

I am using the components that come with IIS.

BTW I found the spot to enter the email addresses which are allowed as part of the 10 licenses.

I guess I am still stuck on figuring out this badmail problem!

Thanks,

slevytam
Re: Install Help Windows 2003 [message #1228 is a reply to message #1223] Thu, 25 August 2005 23:56 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
If you enter in your address in the SMTP Proxy configuration, anything else should bounce with a 550 error without making it into the IIS queue. Therefore, your badmail folder won't fill up any more.

The badmail folder is one of the caveats of Microsoft SMTP implementation. Only in Exchange 2003 can you set the server to simply reject bad mail with a 550 error instead of processing it.

If it still fills up, create and schedule a batch file to clean it every day or so. Or, use this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=782aaf0f-6239-40ad-adda-97863d852ff7&displaylang=en
Previous Topic: Spam Trap setup
Next Topic: Mail for other users hitting my account
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 17:00:36 CET 2016