Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » License Counting
License Counting [message #1173] Tue, 05 July 2005 11:38
glasairnz
Hi
I have a 5 user MS Exchange System. The first one of my users with multiple email addresses is defined in Exchange for example:

pam@abc.com
pamela@abc.com
pam.smith@abc.com
pamela.smith@abc.com

Note that this is just one user. The problem is when people use each one of these slightly different email addresses, the license counter counts them as separate users.

So I thought I would be clever, I deleted the 4 above entries from NoSpamToday and replaced it with

pam*@abc.com

This means that pam with anything after it is acceptable, but NoSpamToday still counts separate licenses for all of the different forms of pam. This makes sense as *@abc.com also counts separately.

I would like the system to be able to differentiate between counting licenses from *@abc.com (which is good) and pam*@abc.com (which is bad).

Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Mike W Ross
Re: License Counting [message #1174 is a reply to message #1173] Thu, 07 July 2005 10:57 Go to previous message
support
> I have a 5 user MS Exchange System. The first one of my
> users with multiple email addresses is defined in Exchange for
> example:
>
> pam@abc.com
> pamela@abc.com
> pam.smith@abc.com
> pamela.smith@abc.com
>
> Note that this is just one user. The problem is when people
> use each one of these slightly different email addresses, the
> license counter counts them as separate users.
>
> So I thought I would be clever, I deleted the 4 above entries
> from NoSpamToday and replaced it with
>
> pam*@abc.com
>
> This means that pam with anything after it is acceptable, but
> NoSpamToday still counts separate licenses for all of the
> different forms of pam. This makes sense as *@abc.com also
> counts separately.
>
> I would like the system to be able to differentiate between
> counting licenses from *@abc.com (which is good) and
> pam*@abc.com (which is bad).
>
> Your comments would be appreciated.

As NoSpamToday! is a transparent proxy, it can not tell which recipient addresses
are mailboxes and which are aliases, so it counts each recipient address your
mail server accepts against the license count.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: License Counting [message #1175 is a reply to message #1174] Thu, 07 July 2005 11:27 Go to previous message
glasairnz
As a product enhancement it would be really great if the licence counter was connected to list of valid addresses. These could be read from MS Exchange or read simply from a file, or even easier maintained in a list within NST. As it is the license counter does not reliably count licenses.

Mike W Ross
Re: License Counting [message #1176 is a reply to message #1173] Tue, 29 November 2005 10:49 Go to previous message
Mario Konst
I agree with Mike,

At this moment we restart the service (and therefore the count) at a daily basis. We use 1000 licenses. As we're bombarded with spam using mailadress generators 1000 licenses are not nearly enough for about 150 users. If NST were to be directory enabled (get list of mailadresses/users with LDAP), it would be a tremendous improvement.

Mario Konst
Re: License Counting [message #1177 is a reply to message #1173] Tue, 29 November 2005 14:52 Go to previous message
Mario Konst
followup: Does anybody know how to stop and start NSt from within a batchfile? This way we don't have to remember to restart NST manually, just set and forget.

Mario Konst
Re: License Counting [message #1178 is a reply to message #1173] Thu, 01 December 2005 14:21 Go to previous message
Mario Konst
Found it. The service is used under the name "No Spam Today! Service" (found it in the registry). So batchfile stopping/starting "No Spam Today! Service" will do the trick.
Re: License Counting [message #1179 is a reply to message #1173] Mon, 19 December 2005 07:55 Go to previous message
Heidner
Which version of exchange are you using? 5.5, 2000? or newer?
Re: License Counting [message #1180 is a reply to message #1173] Mon, 03 April 2006 14:37 Go to previous message
Mario Konst
Exchange 2000 advanced server.
Re: License Counting [message #1181 is a reply to message #1173] Thu, 04 May 2006 12:40 Go to previous message
blockpaddy
if you have 150 users and only allow 1 valid email address per user then you shouldn't need anything like 1000 licenses. Just specify the correct recipient addresses in NST.
You are just making it easier for spammers to reach you
if for instance: your prefered email

is:
johnjames bloggs@x

but you also accept
jbloggs@x
and
jjbloggs@x
etc then you are giving the spambots a bigger target

blockpaddy
Re: License Counting [message #1182 is a reply to message #1173] Fri, 05 May 2006 23:58 Go to previous message
Heidner
But if you have a small network and only license for 10, 20 or 100 users... it can be a problem. In part because the spam trap addresses also are counted in your license count.

so if you spam trap with names like:

webmaster@mydomain.x <-- lots of ISP spammers and 'we design web pages spam
sales@mydomain.x
info@mydomain.x <-- seems spammers like to send stuff here a lot
admin@mydomain.x
president@mydomain.x
junk@mydomain.x

That would be six addresses removed from the license count.

Another case would be a company deliberately uses aliases.

Aliasies are also sometimes used with organizations so that if someone actually sends to sales@mydomain.x -- that alias is associated with a real person's mailbox. Same for webmaster and info... etc,

Subracting the spamtrap names is something that might be easy for byteplant to fix eventually.

The alias problem is much more involved. First, NST is designed to work with any e-mail server - and the method for handling aliases vary by server. Second NST can run on a different machine forwarding the e-mail to the isolated e-mail server. The information about the e-mail accounts and which ones are ailases are contained on the e-mail server. Solving the alias problem would require that e-mail servers either tell NST who the aliases are (not going to happen) - or NST would have to make some kind of query (either on the fly or several times a day) to obtain a list of e-mail accounts and their aliases. That also brings up another issue - one of security... if NST is located in a less secure DMZ filtering e-mail before entering your more secure intranet -- would you really want the list of your e-mail addresses on a less secure server?

Anyway my two cents... not an easy problem to solve.

Post Edited (05-06-06 08:35)
Re: License Counting [message #1183 is a reply to message #1173] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:19 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
Know what I'd appreciate? If they'd not count "root@*", "postmaster@*", and "abuse@*". I don't really use these, but have to allow them to accept mail in order to be compliant for whitelisting on systems like hotmail and yahoo. Hence, I lose about 12 of 50 licenses for addresses I don't really want to use in the first place.

Note that I still find NST to be a great deal and intend to use it for the forseeable future; this is merely a suggestion Smile

Re: License Counting [message #1184 is a reply to message #1173] Sat, 20 May 2006 20:30 Go to previous message
Heidner
I would also like to see a few select names - such as abuse and postmaster not counted in the license count. Some of those names are RFC recommend names that should be allowed through on all e-mail servers.
Re: License Counting [message #1185 is a reply to message #1184] Sun, 21 May 2006 00:21 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
Right, and that's multiplied for every domain name hosted, too..
Re: License Counting [message #1186 is a reply to message #1184] Mon, 22 May 2006 12:39 Go to previous message
support
Heidner wrote:

> I would also like to see a few select names - such as abuse and
> postmaster not counted in the license count. Some of those
> names are RFC recommend names that should be allowed through
> on all e-mail servers.

Please note that the "postmaster" recipient address is not counted against the license
and that the "abuse" address will be excluded in one of the next releases.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: License Counting [message #1187 is a reply to message #1173] Tue, 23 May 2006 17:59 Go to previous message
Heidner
Thanks...
Re: License Counting [message #1188 is a reply to message #1187] Tue, 23 May 2006 18:12 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
"root" would be nice, too. That's the only other one that's required, yet hardly anyone uses for practical purposes.
Re: License Counting [message #1189 is a reply to message #1186] Wed, 09 August 2006 22:49 Go to previous message
lleachii
Perhaps adding "administrator" also, as it is a Microsoft required addresss.
Re: License Counting [message #1190 is a reply to message #1189] Thu, 10 August 2006 22:49 Go to previous message
lleachii
I would also like to note, I have tested both the abuse and postmaster addresses, they did count against the license limits when setup in my SMTP configuration, when I do not add them, the email does not go through, please asssit.
Re: License Counting [message #1191 is a reply to message #1190] Thu, 10 August 2006 22:58 Go to previous message
ScubaCat
I'm not sure I agree that "administrator" is necessary. However, I would appreciate "root", "postmaster", and "abuse" not counting. They're of no practical use to me other than to meet the necessary standard.
Re: License Counting [message #1192 is a reply to message #1173] Thu, 24 August 2006 12:54 Go to previous message
Steve Hunter
Instead of accepting any email with a false address to your domain and having your exchange server generate the bounce message, why not have the exchange server reject them on the SMTP connection? If you do this, the license count will not get bumped as NST recognises that the message wasn't accepted.

To do this, go to Exchange System Manager -> Global Settings -> Message Delivery -> Recipient Filtering tab and tick the "Filter recipients who are not in the Directory" box.
Re: License Counting [message #1193 is a reply to message #1192] Wed, 06 September 2006 12:42 Go to previous message
mseitl
Quote:

why not have the exchange server reject them on the SMTP connection?
To do this, go to Exchange System Manager -> Global Settings -> Message Delivery -> Recipient Filtering tab and tick the "Filter recipients who are not in the Directory" box.

Because in Exchange2000 there is no such tab!

Best Regards
Previous Topic: Daily reports
Next Topic: Error - Input line ends with
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 13:29:03 CET 2016