Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Feature Requests » New filter type ?
New filter type ? [message #137] Fri, 05 November 2004 10:55
fonager
Hi there,

I run a mailserver in an environment, where we send out 30-40.000 emails a day, to different users of our websites - email adresses are up to 5 years old (since the user registered).

This obviously gives us a lot of trouble with "bouncing" emails, as many email adresses dont exist anymore, users inbox full and so on.

Today, these emails go into my Exchange Server 2003 store (right thru the NST proxy) - then I have som rules with puts these "returned" emails into a seperate folder, which I delete manualy every 2 weeks.

But everyone familiar with Exchange, knows that this is a "heavy" and slow process.

Couldnt it be nice with a generic filter in NST, where you could query on each incoming email on the "generic values" like "subject", "from", "to", "body".

Then I could make a filter like this (inspired by the email rules in Outlook) :

if subject like "Undeliverable email" then accept/delete message!

This way my emails are "killed" on the incoming SMTP proxy level, instead of filling my Exchange Server 2003 store with emails I need to delete manually.

It takes quite some time to delete 150.000+ emails from one folder in Exchange Server 2003 Smile

So, is this a good idea and any hope that a thing like this could be implemented on the SMTP (No Spam Today) level ?

Regards,
Tony Fonager

Netcoders ApS, Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: New filter type ? [message #138 is a reply to message #137] Fri, 05 November 2004 14:31 Go to previous message
support
Good idea, to have a filter that allows some basic filtering, though it seems a bit drastic to never look at delivery failure notices. I put it on the list of features for evaluation.

Right now, you could use a SpamAssassin filter to classify delivery failures as spam.

MTAs that send you a mail delivery failure message usually use an empty sender address. You will find this in the envelope-sender field of NoSpamToday!'s Received header.
By adding a header rule that triggers on the proper Received: header, you can treat delivery failures the same way as spam. Set the spam score of this rule high enough, so it exceeds your reject delete threshold, and you will never see a delivery failure again.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: New filter type ? [message #139 is a reply to message #137] Fri, 05 November 2004 23:18 Go to previous message
fonager
I somehow agree to what you write, but there are a few nice things with the filter I would like you to implement :

1) It is MUCH easier for "normal" people like me, to filter out unwanted emails, according ie. text appering in the subject!

2) And much easier instead of writing a SA ruleset (I know nothing about SA rules, but know alot about Outlook email rules Smile

Let me know what you think Smile

Regards,
Tony Fonager

Netcoders ApS, Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: New filter type ? [message #140 is a reply to message #139] Mon, 08 November 2004 18:44 Go to previous message
support
> I somehow agree to what you write, but there are a few nice
> things with the filter I would like you to implement :
>
> 1) It is MUCH easier for "normal" people like me, to filter
> out unwanted emails, according ie. text appering in the
> subject!
>
> 2) And much easier instead of writing a SA ruleset (I know
> nothing about SA rules, but know alot about Outlook email rules
> Smile
>
> Let me know what you think Smile

What might help is a tool to write SpamAssassin rules, with a GUI similar to Outlook. Again, an item for our list.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: New filter type ? [message #141 is a reply to message #137] Mon, 08 November 2004 23:04 Go to previous message
tiger1vic
You might also try Googling for "spamassassin rules gui" or something like that. It took me about 3 seconds to find a windows gui for SA at this url -- http://www.openhandhome.com/saconf.html

Can't say whether it's good or not, but give it a try.

Re: New filter type ? [message #142 is a reply to message #141] Tue, 09 November 2004 13:35 Go to previous message
support
> You might also try Googling for "spamassassin rules gui" or
> something like that. It took me about 3 seconds to find a
> windows gui for SA at this url --
> http://www.openhandhome.com/saconf.html
>
> Can't say whether it's good or not, but give it a try.
>
Last time I looked you could use this GUI to edit the local.cf file, but I don't think it can be used to create rules.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: New filter type ? [message #143 is a reply to message #142] Tue, 09 November 2004 15:00 Go to previous message
fonager
Correct, it is only for setting up SA config - not for editing rules!
Previous Topic: Suggestion for next update
Next Topic: Temporary disable filters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 06:55:59 CET 2016