Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Delete attachment with virus, but not mail
Delete attachment with virus, but not mail [message #2026] Thu, 13 August 2009 12:39 Go to next message
sd1401
Hi,

I wonder whether there is a possibility to scan an incoming email for viruses, and if a virus has been found, to just delete the attachment(s) and replace them with a message that the attachment were deleted due to a virus. But the text of the mail itself should be delivered.
Background is, that I want to be able to inform the sender that his email contained a virus. If the mail is deleted, I never know that there was a mail. If it is delivered, currently I cannot see that it contains a virus..!

So this question maybe goes into two directions:
a) Is there a possibility to strip an attachment from a mail based on the outcome of an external program?
b) Is there a virus scanner that is able to scan emails and to just delete the attachment and output the text of the plain email?

Thanks for hints and replies!

Regards,
sd1401
Re: Delete attachment with virus, but not mail [message #2134 is a reply to message #2026] Fri, 14 August 2009 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Griffyn
The vast majority of viruses are sent by bots, that are running on hijacked computers. Many viruses also fake the sender address.

In my opinion, notifying the sender of viruses is not a good idea.
Re: Delete attachment with virus, but not mail [message #2135 is a reply to message #2026] Fri, 14 August 2009 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sd1401
Hi,
thanks for your answer.

I think, it's up to the user, whether he wants to inform the sender or not.
At our site, lots of files are exchanged by mail with exterior partners. If one of these partner had a virus in his mail, it would be valuable for both him and us to be able to inform him about that.

Regards,
sd1401
Re: Delete attachment with virus, but not mail [message #2136 is a reply to message #2135] Fri, 14 August 2009 12:47 Go to previous message
MrMental
sd1401 wrote on Fri, 14 August 2009 09:09

I think, it's up to the user, whether he wants to inform the sender or not.
At our site, lots of files are exchanged by mail with exterior partners. If one of these partner had a virus in his mail, it would be valuable for both him and us to be able to inform him about that.

The sender is automatically informed that his mail did not make it (if you're using SMTP and reject/something as filtering policy). A legitimate sender will the contact you by some other means, and you both can then wonder why the message was blocked.

MrMental

[Updated on: Fri, 14 August 2009 12:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Upgrade to CleanMail from NST v3.2.3.1
Next Topic: Virus filter says it's SPAM!?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 04 09:09:16 CET 2016