Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » Block all emails not on a list
Block all emails not on a list [message #1916] Thu, 21 February 2008 12:28
BradlayLaw
Is there a way with NST to reject all emails sent to our domain apart from the ones we specify? I know you could blacklist * and then whitelist our users but then their email wouldn't get checked for spam.
Re: Block all emails not on a list [message #1917 is a reply to message #1916] Thu, 21 February 2008 13:36 Go to previous message
support
> Is there a way with NST to reject all emails sent to our domain
> apart from the ones we specify? I know you could blacklist *
> and then whitelist our users but then their email wouldn't get
> checked for spam.

Yes, this is possible of course.
You can either

1) configure your mail server to accept only those recipient addresses you really want and to reject all other addresses directly on the SMTP session level by a 550 error code

or

2) use the "Relay Settings" in the NoSpamToday! Admin to restrict the set of recipient addresses to those you really want. This can be configured on the third page of the SMTP proxy wizard.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: Block all emails not on a list [message #1918 is a reply to message #1917] Sat, 23 February 2008 00:00 Go to previous message
Heidner
I think a third option is what is being asked for...

That option would be to:

1) reject immediately if the sender isn't on the approved list, but if they are then
a) scan for viruses
b) scan spam - and warn as necessary
c) scan for attachments.

In effect it would be useful to include a group of e-mail servers in a list of "semi-trusted" e-mail originators. Still check them for spam, virus, etc... but not reject them immediately.

I think another way that might accomplish is to change the points assigned for whitelisting an domain or e-mailer from the default of -100 points down to something like -15 points. Then increase the number of point spread assigned by spamassissin. This would allow the "friendlies" to still be scanned for spam... while increasing the odds the un-approved mail senders would be rejected.
Previous Topic: SMTP flow based on domain name
Next Topic: Server Query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 19:27:23 CET 2016