Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » 3 newbie questions
3 newbie questions [message #1355] Sat, 04 February 2006 08:33
Kpauley
I'm evaling the software, just downloaded tonight and so far so good. I have three fairly basic questions, I've browsed around and have not found a good answer yet. I'm still checking things out and may figure it out but thought I'd ask...

1) I have an Exchange 5.5 server (yes, old) and I'm running NST on the same box. I only want to block SPAM for 5 addresses, but there are about 60 addresses on the box. Before I purchase, I want to make sure I can do this (unless there is a free version that is locked for less than 10). Can I configure it to scan and block SPAM for the 5 addresses and just pass the rest?

2) I'm not totally clear on the scoring of SPAM. What is the range of the scores that are possible? If there is a page I can be sent to for reference that would be fine.

3) Updating the master config from the Quick Start Filter. Can I just update a text file somewhere, is it the Local.CF, rather than going through the wizard?

Thanks,

Ken
Re: 3 newbie questions [message #1356 is a reply to message #1355] Sat, 04 February 2006 08:57 Go to previous message
Kpauley
So I think I answered two of the questions

1) It looks like I should wildcard all of the domains in the in the Proxy setup. Then go and put an address pattern for each of the addresses I want to do SPAM filtering on in the filter configuration.

My question though, if I do it this way will it limit the licenses that are used?

2) still reading through the manual at this point, haven't figured this one yet.

3) I read the manual! It's in the nospamtoday.cf
Re: 3 newbie questions [message #1357 is a reply to message #1356] Mon, 06 February 2006 10:41 Go to previous message
support
> So I think I answered two of the questions
>
> 1) It looks like I should wildcard all of the domains in the in
> the Proxy setup. Then go and put an address pattern for each
> of the addresses I want to do SPAM filtering on in the filter
> configuration.
>
> My question though, if I do it this way will it limit the
> licenses that are used?

Yes. Enabling the SpamAssassin filter only for those addresses you really need
will limit the number of recipient addresses used.

> 2) still reading through the manual at this point, haven't
> figured this one yet.

Please see
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#scoring_options

> 3) I read the manual! It's in the nospamtoday.cf

Right.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: 3 newbie questions [message #1358 is a reply to message #1357] Sat, 11 February 2006 17:54 Go to previous message
Kpauley
> Yes. Enabling the SpamAssassin filter only for those addresses you really need
> will limit the number of recipient addresses used.

I have this setup this way now. I am filtering only 24 addresses, all others are being rejected and this is making a big difference in the load on my system!

I'm trying to get my email addresses down to under 10 so I can purchase that license, but I had a question.

Is there a way for me to set things to use the spam filter on 10 addresses, no spam filter on the other 14 addresses, then reject everything else? So basically I want to accept delivery for all 24 addresses, but only spam filter the 10, this way I only have to buy a 10 user license. Some of the mailboxes I don't care if they get spam or not.

Ken
Re: 3 newbie questions [message #1359 is a reply to message #1358] Mon, 13 February 2006 10:20 Go to previous message
support
> > Yes. Enabling the SpamAssassin filter only for those
> addresses you really need
> > will limit the number of recipient addresses used.
>
> I have this setup this way now. I am filtering only 24
> addresses, all others are being rejected and this is making a
> big difference in the load on my system!
>
> I'm trying to get my email addresses down to under 10 so I can
> purchase that license, but I had a question.
>
> Is there a way for me to set things to use the spam filter on
> 10 addresses, no spam filter on the other 14 addresses, then
> reject everything else? So basically I want to accept delivery
> for all 24 addresses, but only spam filter the 10, this way I
> only have to buy a 10 user license. Some of the mailboxes I
> don't care if they get spam or not.

Yes, this is of course possible. You can restrict the set of accepted recipient addresses
by adding them to the Open Relay Protection list (this is what you've already done)
and in a second step configure the "Address Patterns to Enable Filter" list of the
first filter in the chain to match only those 10 addresses you want to be filtered.
Do not forget to check the "Use Same Address Settings As Previous Filter" checkbox
in all subsequent filters.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: Stuck with 100% CPU utilization
Next Topic: SMTP Service goes down... why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 18:56:43 CET 2016