Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » SMTP internals?
SMTP internals? [message #813] Sun, 08 August 2004 20:29
Mark Haller

Hi there,

Got a query - not sure where else to aim this.

We have a Domino mail server. Looks after some 30+ eMail/domain names.

Most of these use our mail server, and most of them, from time to time send us eMails.

Now, first time (this is a 3 day old trial install) today, I received an eMail from a client, who called me and said he received an ERROR 550 when sending me mail.

I can see from the setup wizard that if domain names *@logicspot.com etc are used, then you cannot send internal eMail addresses.

Problem is - I want SMTP Proxy to block relay attempts but allow internal addresses.

Is this something I can do now, or is it something coming up in the new version?

Many thanks in advance

Mark Haller
LogicSpot
UK
Re: SMTP internals? [message #814 is a reply to message #813] Mon, 09 August 2004 14:18 Go to previous message
support
> Now, first time (this is a 3 day old trial install) today, I
> received an eMail from a client, who called me and said he
> received an ERROR 550 when sending me mail.
>
> I can see from the setup wizard that if domain names
> *@logicspot.com etc are used, then you cannot send internal
> eMail addresses.
>
> Problem is - I want SMTP Proxy to block relay attempts but
> allow internal addresses.

There is no point in checking your outgoing mail, so do not use NoSpamToday! for outgoing mails. Have the clients connect directly to your mail server, bypassing the NoSpamToday! proxy.

You can do this by either changing the SMTP settings of the mail clients, or by letting the existing mail server keep its original IP-address and port, and reroute only mails from the internet to NoSpamToday! (via NAT or by changing your MX record).

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: SMTP internals? [message #815 is a reply to message #814] Mon, 09 August 2004 15:12 Go to previous message
Mark Haller

Hi there,

Thanks for the swift reply, really appreciate it.

I don't have the option to change the MX records on the domains - they are managed by different companies and making the change would be a logistical nightmare.

I have NST listening on port 25 across "Any" IP address.

I have the outgoing server as port 26, on 127.0.0.1

My daily admin mail gets to me successfully, via 127.0.0.1:26

On the Domino server, I have SMTP inbound on port 26 and SMTP outbound on port 25.

Sorry to be not very intelligent - do I need to change the SMTP outbound to a different port number and then it will be OK?

I can successfully receive/send in and out using the normal Lotus Notes client but clients are complaining when using Outlook with POP3, they cannot send out because of Error 550's.

Regards

Mark Haller
Re: SMTP internals? [message #816 is a reply to message #815] Mon, 16 August 2004 13:52 Go to previous message
support
> Sorry to be not very intelligent - do I need to change the
> SMTP outbound to a different port number and then it will be
> OK?
>
> I can successfully receive/send in and out using the normal
> Lotus Notes client but clients are complaining when using
> Outlook with POP3, they cannot send out because of Error
> 550's.

Changing SMTP outbound on the server won't help. Do it for the Outlook clients, leave POP3 (inbound) as is, but change SMTP (outbound) to dominoserver:26.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: SMTP internals? [message #817 is a reply to message #816] Tue, 17 August 2004 12:08 Go to previous message
Mark Haller

Hi there,

Glad i was thinking on the same wavelength - that's what I had already done and it works well.

I don't really want user intervention - the SPAM checking should be transparent. It's a shame there is no way in your software that you can know that the eMail is on its way out from a trusted source so can pass-thru, thus alleviating a need for MX record change or IP port change for users.

Mark
Previous Topic: new version - when?
Next Topic: Free Upgrades?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 27 00:27:43 CEST 2016