Byteplant Forum

Home » CleanMail Support » CleanMail Server Talk » number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf
number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #773] Mon, 12 July 2004 16:36
lebig
Hi,

We are currently evaluating NoSpamToday SMTP Proxy, and it seem we have a limit in the number of adresses we can filter. The "AdressList=" line cannot have more than 4050 characters, and it limits greatly the usefulness of the filter. When the line is longer than 4050 characters, the service refuses to start. Is it normal?

We have to specify such a number of adresses because of virii that send mail to random names, and exhaust the allowed number of adresses filtered by NoSpamToday. How is the licence enforced, and do fake adresses count towards the licence limit?

Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #774 is a reply to message #773] Mon, 12 July 2004 17:30 Go to previous message
Shinare
I have this concern as well, and am currently evaluating the software. I have been running the software for only 3 weeks now and already it says it is checking over 600 email address when I only have < 100 email users. This is due to viruses as stated in the above post. I do not want to add all 100 email users to the address list but if I have to I guess I must. I have not done so yet but I am very concerned by lebig's post that this may not be an option. I'm only looking at about 2300-2400 characters tho, if I estimate based on an average of 23 characters per address.
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #775 is a reply to message #773] Mon, 12 July 2004 17:45 Go to previous message
support
lebig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently evaluating NoSpamToday SMTP Proxy, and it
> seem we have a limit in the number of adresses we can filter.
> The "AdressList=" line cannot have more than 4050 characters,
> and it limits greatly the usefulness of the filter. When the
> line is longer than 4050 characters, the service refuses to
> start. Is it normal?

This was fixed in version 1.2.2.2, so this should not happen. Could you perhaps mail us your log and config files (nospamtoday.log, nospamtoday.cf) when this happens?
>
> We have to specify such a number of adresses because of virii
> that send mail to random names, and exhaust the allowed number
> of adresses filtered by NoSpamToday. How is the licence
> enforced, and do fake adresses count towards the licence
> limit?

Preferably you should configure your mail server to reject unknown addresses outright. The non-delivery reports e.g. Exchange creates otherwise may be a problem for the admins of other mail servers, because they almost never are delivered to the right person anyway. Look here for a discussion of this topic:

http://www.byteplant.com/support/nospamtoday/howtorejectexchange.html

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #776 is a reply to message #774] Mon, 12 July 2004 17:48 Go to previous message
support
Please take a look at this howto document, if you haven't already, it should apply to your situation as well:

http://www.byteplant.com/support/nospamtoday/howtorejectexchange.html

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #777 is a reply to message #773] Thu, 29 July 2004 13:40 Go to previous message
SpamHater
Hello,

I have just do this for a number of more than 1150 adresses...
then the service will be aborted in a few seconds. For fewer
adresses it's functionable. I have also the trouble, that Exc. 5.5
in a 3-way design (external e-mail-server <-> spam-filter <->
internal e-mail-server) with faked adresses with our domain-
name after the mailboxname will be bombed. And I have no
chance, I have to accept these e-mails and to deliver ndr's.
It is not possible to disable NDR within Exchange 5.5. I
have read dozens of articels without getting posotive results.

It's tragic, but this form of e-mail, allowed in RFC's will be
the dead of smtp.

Greetings
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #778 is a reply to message #777] Thu, 29 July 2004 16:32 Go to previous message
support
Did you already upgrade to Version 1.2.4.4?

http://www.byteplant.com/support/nospamtoday/server/changes.html

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #779 is a reply to message #778] Mon, 23 August 2004 16:17 Go to previous message
bhealy
Should the address list be comma separated?
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #780 is a reply to message #779] Mon, 23 August 2004 17:56 Go to previous message
support
> Should the address list be comma separated?

No. Please use blanks to separate the entries.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #781 is a reply to message #776] Wed, 06 October 2004 12:31 Go to previous message
vincentchua
where can I edit which email address the program should scan? I don't really see anywhere stating "AdressList="
Re: number of adresses in nospamtoday.cf [message #782 is a reply to message #781] Fri, 08 October 2004 14:39 Go to previous message
support
Use the 'restrict spam checking to' setting. You can configure it on the 3rd or 4th page of the admin wizard.

Customer Support
Byteplant GmbH
Previous Topic: SSL/TSL security
Next Topic: Detailed Blocking Log
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 01 17:29:28 CEST 2016